Interesting perspective on AA and Alanon

Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting perspective on AA and Alanon

My brother was visiting from out of state and I mentioned something briefly about Alanon. He asked some interesting questions and some of his misconceptions about AA and Alanon surprised me.

He asked "What is Alanon.....is that short for Alcoholics Anonymous?" ok..I could understand that question so I explained each organization and their relationship to the other.

He asked "So...is AA a cult?" That one surprised me so I gave him my take on that.

Later, when we were alone, I asked him if he had any more questions about AA or Alanon and did he know someone who needed help. His response surprised me.

He has a close friend who has announced he's an alcoholic and that he's attending AA. His friend's wife has also declared that she is an alcoholic and is also attending AA. My brother "doesn't think that either of them are alcoholics" and is somewhat convinced that they went to AA and were "brainwashed" into thinking they were alcoholics.

I just thought I'd share that because many people really don't know what AA and Alanon are about. They may make some conclusions based on very little information or things they hear from others. For those of you who have considered going to Alanon and may not understand what it is or whether it's for you, I would encourage you to go at least six times (and read some of the literature). This will allow you to make up your own mind whether Alanon is for you.

gentle hugs

Last edited by Kindeyes; 07-13-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: it took two proof readings to find most of my errors!
Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People make judgemdents on all sorts of things with limited or incorrect information everyday. But I agree with you. Just as many don't understand alcoholism and think an alcoholic is one of those dirty homeless people only, they don't understand what AA or AlAnon or any other 12 steps program is all about. The only cure is education of the general public I suppose. Or us educating folks we know.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A lot of times friends and family don't want to admit that someone they care about has a problem or is an addict. They may not understand, may not want them to stop because they may be one of their "party buddies", may not want to face the stigma of being related to or friends with an addict, may not want to admit that they, themselves may have the same problem, may not have a clue how to help, so it is easier to ignore or deny it.

The good thing is that even if a person rejects the group and/or thinks it is a "cult", they now know where to go if and when they are ready for the help these groups provide.