Imagine That, I had My Ticket Home All Along

Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Imagine That, I had My Ticket Home All Along

In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy takes an incredible but sometimes terrifying journey away from Kansas, her home, when she gets swooped away by a tornado--a vortex--and carried to the land of Oz.

Most people know this story, but a slight recap won't hurt. Dorothy meets and befriends the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion. They're all looking for something they don't think they have. The Scarecrow wants a brain, the Tin Man wants a heart, and the Cowardly Lion wants a dose of courage.

Dorothy just wants to go home.

They follow the Yellow Brick Road, searching for the Wizard, the great one they hope will give them each what they want. Along the way, they fight off witches and demons and bad guys. In the end, each one discovers they had all along what they wanted.

The Wizard doesn't have to give the Tin Man a heart. The Tin Man already has one. The Scarecrow has a brain. The Lion is courageous. And all along, Dorothy has been wearing the magic slippers that will take her home. She just has to click her heels together and think to herself, "There's no place like home." Dorothy is estatic to learn that she can finally go home but a little perturbed at the same time to discover that she had her ticket all along.

That's when her friends tell her that although they each had what they wanted the whole time, it was the journey that helped them discover that they had it.

--Excerpt from Finding Your Way Home by Melody Beattie

Four years ago, I set out on a journey in the land of Recovery. Along the way I met and befriended Prodigal, the CapedCruisader, and JazzMan. We were all looking for something we didn't think we had. We followed the yellow brick road looking for the great one who would give us what we wanted. Along the way we fought off internal demons and witches and bad guys. In the end each of us discovered we had what we wanted.

Just like Dorothy I had my ticket home all along. All I had to do was let go of the things in life that no longer serve me, stop trying to control others, and make new choices. Everyone here has a ticket home. The journey through recovery will help you find it.

A better life is only a few choices away. Choose joy. Choose happiness. Choose serenity. The solution is really that simple and I had the power all along. Imagine that.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks FD for a clear reminder that we all have the means to do what we need to do for us. All it takes is the willingness to do it.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Just like Dorothy I had my ticket home all along. All I had to do was let go of the things in life that no longer serve me, stop trying to control others, and make new choices. Everyone here has a ticket home. The journey through recovery will help you find it.

A better life is only a few choices away. Choose joy. Choose happiness. Choose serenity. The solution is really that simple and I had the power all along. Imagine that.
Gulp. Amazing how simple it really is. Thanks for spelling it out clearly FD.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post, very inspirational and I felt a twinge of "Oh hell yeah!" I find it so empowering to read your posts, FD. Thanks for stepping down that road and letting us watch you strut.

Girls, where are those ruby slippers?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOW...thank you for this.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Thanks ((((FD))))
Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know I didn't make it last summer, FD, but you KNOW I'm gonna end up sitting on your colorful front porch shucking silver queen corn with you! Just need a little more $$ to get my debt structure reorganized so I can head back East.

Thanks for being so instrumental in my recovery. I don't see Jazz or Crusader here any longer. They are sorely missed.

Great post. And you're right. What I needed the most was with me all along.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks so much for sharing that here.
Minus all the fear, chaos and the sit-on-the-edge-of-your-seat- suspense...the drama did bring three fellow travelers closer together than most could hope for.
They gained loads of self confidence and learned that they could endure hardships and still come out on top.
One of the pluses of this journey that I am on is all the wonderful people I meet along the way.
:ghug2
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Wow...what a beautiful reminder. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

FD
That's such good stuff! I also had the "oh hell yeah" feeling when I read it!
THANK YOU!
gentle hugs
Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FD You Rock!!!

What a great reminder for all of us!!!

Thanks,

Shivaya
Old 07-03-2008, 01:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Once again, when I really needed some inspiration, the first thing I read on sr does it! thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope to find that yellow brick road real soon!

Loved the post. Thank you for that.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Totally inspiring - thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Since my favorite analogy based on The Wizard of Oz came up in another thread today, I thought I'd bump this back up to the top. What girl couldn't use a fabulous pair of ruby slippers?
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For everyone who's struggling today to find their way home.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for bumping this. What a great post.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah!! Thanks for bumping this as I hadn't seen this before, and think it is wonderful.
As you see under "Granny", my location is given as Wizard Land.

Don't have any shiny red shoes....so went looking and brought a pile of them, all different styles and sizes, for anyone here on SR who wants a pair of magic shoes to help them get home.

God bless

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks FD.....I know now that yes we all had the power within to move those mountains that we needed moved and it was and still is a hard journey but alas here we all are...take care sweetie

Janitw