Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Is it true that as a term of their probation, they are not allowed to drink at all?

Is it true that as a term of their probation, they are not allowed to drink at all?

Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm being told this by my AW and it doesn't sound right. Drinking is not illegal, so how can that be a term of their probation and if they violate that term can get up to a year in prison?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From what I understand, a judge can make anything a term of probation. If you're in Texas, I wouldn't doubt it. It seems the southwest really comes down hard on those who drink and drive.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, it is possible. That was in exchange for me not having to have the breathalizer thing installed on my car. Yes, if you break the terms of probation, you can be sent to jail.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well she's begging me to get her out of jail. She says she's too afraid to drink again because she can go to jail for up to a year next time.. But, she's been drinking heavily for over 12 years and hasn't stopped for anything and I mean anything, so it's hard to believe that she'd stop now.... I think she just wants out because she's probably having hellacious withdrawal symptoms?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I think you are right.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, I was under the impression she's out. Perhaps she can give her probation officer permission to speak with you (considering you are her husband) and ask him for yourself. Also, whatever criminal proceedings she's gone through are a matter of public record. Get the record and what her sentence is. The terms of her probation should be contained in there.

If it were me, I wouldn't bail her out until you have some written documents that state what the terms of her probation are. If she's lying, then you can make a decision from there.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My RAH could not even enter a liquor/beer store or be anywhere where alcohol was the main purpose of business due to his conditional release
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do know people on probation. And yes if you violate the rules you will go to jail. I know this first hand because it happened to me. Was not looking at a year but went for 6 days.

And they are getting tough. Some even have breath equipment right in their home and when they get a call they have to do it.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My friends' parole did include a "no alcohol" rule. However, his parole officier basically told him he didn't care if he drank!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sad#3 View Post
Well she's begging me to get her out of jail.
Is that something you want to do? Do you want to enable her by removing some of the consequences of her actions?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My son is on probation, and that is part of his probation that he can't use alcohol or drugs and they can do random tests on him...at this point he is in a treatment facility so that isn't really a concern right now, but that is part of his probation.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My H was on probation for a year, and he had to call them every morning by a certain time and if they called for his color he had to go testing by 7:00 pm that night and he never knew when they were going to call his color. (Jams)

I am going to tell you there was not one night that my husband didnt drink, and the day that they called his color that night my H knew after testing he could really drink, because the odds on him getting his colored called the very next day wouldnt happen, well it didnt happen to him anyway. I think that beer is one of the most hardest things to be able to detect.

My H would drink tons of water through out the whole day at work and his testing wasnt until 7:00 pm. Most times he tested it had been a good 20 hours since he had a beer.

My H learned the system and he learned it well, as he still drank every single night, and never once failed the test.

In my experience they would practically have to go in there drunk in order to fail the test

There is no quitting until he is really ready to quit himself, that may never come for my H, so I had to let go and focus working on me, or I would go crazy