Something fun...Animal lovers..

Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Something fun...Animal lovers..

Ok so in honor of FD's ... "Paddy" and all those furry kids...Let's share some stories
of our little furry ones! and the unconditional love and joy they bring us!

Dogs, Cats, Bunnys, horses........

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

My Trixie (who lived till 18-gone one year tomorrow)...she use to pull on
my pant leg all the time-even when she became blind-She loved to be loved
and would curl up next to me all the time and gave out many kisses to me
just when I always needed them too.

At night when it was time for bed she sat up real proud and waited for her cookies.
She helped me through the loss of my husband without her I was not so sure
I would have made it....I miss her terribly but know she is in a better place.

(She always looked proud *note picture* and I was so proud to have been blessed
with her for so many years of my life and given unconditional love even when
I was not always at my best-

Samantha (Trixie's daughter) is a character even still at 17 years of age! (Picture was just last week!)
She will scratch (Stir) her dinner bowl up before she eats
and has been doing it for years! She enjoys blowing bubbles
yup bubbles in the water bowl! Sticks her head in the plants/flowers so she can get
some dirt!

She use to be agressive when younger as no one was ever allowed to go near
mommy Trixie-but boy did they fight! (I guess we all do that with Mom's LOL)
She is now my little princess and her groomer swears that Trixie jumped inside of her ....
she now gives kisses which she never did before! She was once badly attacked by a Rotty
but it was not her time to go....10 bites and a neck reconstruction she is still here 5 years later!

I'm grateful to have shared my last 18 years of my life with these two wonderful little girls-
My furry Kids!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Blowing bubbles, lol.

Pets are great.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh how I love animal stories.
Well, my Kayla Ree will be 2 in November and she has brought so much joy into my life. Kayla is an Australian Shepherd (Kelpie) mix and she is a very smart and "polite" dog, if you will. She loves to do the "bone-dance" for me everynight when I get home from work. She will get a milk bone out of her dog bowl and dance all over the place until I get out of the car. It is the CUTEST thing ever.

Couldn't figure out how to attach the photo. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a cat called Pickles. She is awesome. She wondered into my garden about a year ago as a lost little kitten. It was love at first sight!!!!

Her favorite thing is going for a shower with me!!!!! yep i have a cat who likes water.

Mair xx
Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have three animals Here they are in the order they picked us

Tigger - two days after my grandma passed away (and I got my first apt) my mom and aunts were hanging out at my grandpa's house when they heard a noise at the door, when they looked outside there was this tiny kitten trying to ring the doorbell! So my mom called me up and asked if I still wanted a cat, so he became mine! He's a very independent cat, but when he wants attention you know about it! He's more hubby's cat than mine.

Devo - Devo is our whippet/lab that is in my avatar (in his Spiderman halloween costume). He was a shelter rescue. As soon as he saw us at the glass he came running up and licked the glass. It was love at first sight! When we first got him, he was like Bambi on ice trying to figure out his long legs. He's a very well-trained and is working with a clicker now to hopefully advance to Agility. He is the worlds biggest suck, he loves to hang out with me and is very attached, however we're working on that. He loves to hear the words: boat, grandpa & camp. He loves having people over and visiting with others.
He was mad at me one night for kicking RAH out so he went under the sink, brought out 5 lbs of potatos, peeled them and dropped them beside the bed. When I got up (a couple hours later) I discovered that he had also eating a bottle of advil - cue me calling the emergency vet and giving him peroxide (I think) with a turkey baster and then a $700 vet bill and he's now doing good!

Last but not least, Meeko

Meeko was in the shelter for two years when we went in to look at him. He's an orange tabby that reminded me of a cat I had from when I was 3 until I was 13. It was love at first sight again. He was so timid and scared when we brought him home - it took us a year to get him super-comfortable with us and the other animals - now he snuggles with me every night and follows me everywhere!
And those are my babies! LOL

Last edited by tryingtofly; 06-17-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: paragraphs are my friend
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't have little furry ones......I have FOUR BIG furry ones.

Oz - our 9 year old German Shepherd. What a character. I swear he understands every word I say. He thinks GSD stands for greyhound shepherd dog as he tries to keep the other dogs in line. He "talks" like a grumpy old man.

Eulogy - our 10 year old ex-racing greyhound. Such a refined lady. She would NEVER play with a silly toy but she loves to play with me. She has lymphosarcoma (diagnosed the week after Christmas) but she's doing well. She is my heart dog. She is also the leader of my pack. She even bosses around Oz who outweighs her by 40 pounds.

Lefty - our 6 year old ex-racing greyhound who is bilaterally deaf. He is still all puppy. He was born deaf but still raced for a little while. He liked to follow the other dogs on the track. Not a good trait in a racing dog. He is a total lap dog.....all 90 pounds of him. He has my husband wrapped around his little paw pad.

Bella - our 5 year old greyhound who is also deaf. She is my silliest baby and quite a little mama's girl. She is playful and bouncy and silly. She knows sign language like Lefty and has no clue that she is deaf. She would cuddle all the time if we would just sit still all day and let her. I don't refer to her as an ex-racing greyhound because she only ran twice. I imagine that she interfered with the other dogs and tried to play instead of run. She's a goof.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

You are such a sweetie, Rella. What a great idea. I didn't get online last night, so I missed this thread (bought a new book and was caught up in reading that). I'll drop in tonight and post a story and a photo or two.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I have a cat Lucy and a dog Rosie.

Lucy is a 4 year old tortoiseshell, who is a real character. She is stubborn and very cheeky. I say she is like a teenager. Whenever you hear a bang or a crash in our house, you know its Lucy doing something she shouldn't. Then when you shout her name she mews, it is like she is saying 'come on mummy, don't get annoyed I'm only playing!' She knows when she is getting into trouble, but she will just stand and stare at you until you stand up and then runs for the door! It is so funny that I cannot get annoyed with her!

Everyday when I come home I find her asleep behind my front door like she is waiting for me. She talks alot, (very quite when a kitten) and constantly mews and purrs at me. Whenever she walks into the room she will purr sweetly like she is saying 'hello, I'm here now!'. She always comes to me when I call her name! She will go straight to the cupboard in the kitchen where her food is kept and tell you she wants feeding!

She has a great relationship with my dog, there is only 6 months between them. Lucy is definately the older sibling, and bosses Rosie around, eats from her bowl etc. Sometimes she will lie in wait for her behind the sofa and then pounce out at her, which starts the pair of them running and chasing each other up and down the stair etc. Lucy cheats though as she jumps onto the window sills and gets into little spots the dog can't!

Rosie my Yorkshire Terrier is 3, she is till very much a puppy. Her life revolves around playing. She has lots of toys but her favourite is a ball, any ball. She sleeps with me and as soon as I wake she gives me kisses and then goes and gets a toy. When I am in the bathroom, she scratches on the door, if you open it she is sitting there with... a toy. Honestly, it is all she ever wants to do. She has boundless energy! She loves going to the park and despite her wildness for playing, she is really well behaved. She always stays close to me, and if she does run, it is only so far away before she comes bouncing back, tongue hanging out hitting her in the eye.

I got her from someone I worked with when she was 4/5 months old. She had been living with a much bigger dog and was really thin and shy. She is still quite a nervous thing. You cannot shout at her because she gets very shakey and cowardly. It is like she thinks she will be beaten. I dread to think what happened to her in her last home. She is so affectionate and will cuddle up with you. Sometimes I have battles between her and the cat wanting to sit on my knee. Both come to me at the banisters on the stairs. The cat wants to play and the dog wants kisses. Rosie has so many kisses it is unreal, she would kiss you until you passed out if you let her. I think she really appreciates her nice home and is always telling us so!

She is a bit of a guard dog too. She is very jumpy at any noise she heres, I often find my mail with teeth marks on it. She has gotten really good at jumping and pullin them out of the mail slot, but hasn't learnt how to bring them to me! She just dumps them on the floor! She also chases any cats that come to visit Lucy and is very protective of her big sister. Lucy lets her do this because she is so much smaller than Rosie. If there is a strange noise out back, Rosie is always the one who goes out to check on things and have a shout at the neighbours, while Lucy lingers at the door until she gets the all clear!

I think she should be a whippet as she is so fast! Her body is close to the floor, and she seems to skim over it. She would run and run if she could. Although when she does finally get tired, she lets you know she wants to go home! Sometimes when she wants to go out, she puts her lead/leash across her back, I don't know how, and then comes to find you! She talks to, with little grumbles and whinnies. Especially if you won't play! She will nudge her toy at you or even drop it into your hand to get your attention and then squeaks!

I could talk about them all day! I think of them as my other two children!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love my pets, they are all my therapy and unconditional love and I have quite the zoo.

Taz is a 6 month old ferret. He comes when you call him. He loves to chase you grabbing at your ankles and will turn and run from you, hide somewhere, and just as youve given up home, he either peeks out or comes bouncing out.

I have 6 water turtles, now large, but started the size of a quarter. Every morning I drink my coffee on the patio where the turtle pond is and they all swim to the side and start begging for food.

Snoopy and Mickey my cats snuggle at night with me, one on my feet and the other trying to squeeze between hubby and me
Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I have a cute video I made of Naomi (recovering from surgery and possible cancer).
Our PJ is helping Naomi look for nothing.

(the video is a little slow but it gets better)

YouTube - On a Mission

Last edited by PaperDolls; 06-18-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: tried to embed the video but it wouldn't WORK!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

How funny and adorable at the same time Jen! thanks for sharing this!

Prayers still going out to Naomi
Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

PD - LOVE the video!

Thanks, Rella, for the thread.

I am typing, with Elvis (my avatar) on my lap, Tinker, the chihuahua trying to figure out how to ALSO get on my lap, pretty-kitty looking at me and begging for treats, and Mots (mouth of the south) napping (our biggest and loudest cat).

They are all spoiled, but bring my so much joy, don't know what I'd do without them!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-21-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hiya (_R_)

i have a cat named shittty kittty, shes got a pic somewhere on board here...

more important, is another God-Shot moment...

just the other night, i was having a strong thought about taking a pic of the cat from my home group, as this cat was the first thing to greet me there over five years ago...

and is stil there...

i was looking at her, and know shes geting on in years...

shes kinda a symbolism of recovery to me...

so i brought my camera to the meets last night

and you have this thread for me to put her out to the world of recovery...

xxoo 'n blessn's

(_rz_)
Old 06-21-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I have a lot of animals, but this is my Samantha. She is from a shelter, I got her when she was five years old. She came to us with a healthy distrust of the mailman and any man who is short. (?). Oh yeah, and heart worm.

She is the most lovable, gentle, expressive dog I have ever met. She is always by my side. Puts up with the cats, and stoically made room for Max to live here too. (my partner's dog). All she wants is love. I don't think that she got much in her first five years.

What can I say? I love this mutt.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Meet Tabs. Since he was so fuzzy, when I got him, his manhood was hidden under all that fur. . . I named "her" Tabitha. A few months later when "she" was trying to mate with my bathrobe, I saw a little red thing pop out from underneath that fur. So she became a he . . . I couldn't confuse him anymore than he already seemed to be so the name was shortened to Tabs.

I've already shared with many of you that Tabs was born on my first day in Recovery. . . so we have grown together.

I have had cats all of my life and he is the absolute strangest cat ever. . . that's why I think I love him so. He sleeps on his back with his "stuff" out there for the world to see. He also loves water, his favorite people foods are black olives and glazed donuts and when I'm on my computer, he's always on the shelf on the left side of my desk (picture on the left) His favorite toys are elastic rubberband like hair ties, an empty cigarette pack wadded up into a ball and a ball of tape. He loves to play fetch just like a dog. I can be sleeping, on the computer or doing dishes and I hear this loud meow, look down and he's sitting on his hind legs, toy in front of him, begging for me to throw it. If I put a little basket, a clean ashtray or a bowl on the floor, he will drop it on there when he brings it back.

And fuzzybutt, as I lovingly call him, growls like a dog when someone new walks past the window or when he's eatting his first meal of the day. He opens the doors to the entertainment center, just to open them . . . there's nothing in there he wants. And in order to keep him from having kitty sex with my bathrobe, I bought him one of those little receiving blankets of the same material at the dollar store. He drags this all over the house with him when he's home by himself. I have come home to find this in many unusual places like the windowsill or with him laying on it, on my bed. . . on his back, sound asleep.

I love this fuzz ball. He's been such a joy to watch him grow from a little kitten who was scared of his own shadow to the most unique personality I have ever seen in a cat.

This thread is great. . . thank you Rella!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is Jack

This is Shadow

This is Bella

I also have a grey tabby named Tilly but she lives in my daughter's closet. You'll just have to trust me!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I love this thread!

I live with 4 furballs.

I have a cat who lives in a wardrobe too! He comes out very occasionally and his name is tyr:

This is my oldest, Strider. He has gingivitis which means he gets monthly steroid injections and antibiotics for his sore mouth. It doesn't stop him though! He's fond of headbutts and stalking our youngest cat!

My youngest cat is Ash. He loves belly rubs, laser pointers and sleeping belly up. He also chases his own tail!!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

And last, but by no means least is Freya. She rules the roost. She's small but totally psycho - the first cat I've ever had who just doesn't care when the hoover is on. She still acts like a total kitten - all play, play, play!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so glad this thread is still going!

Judy - I had to laugh....my first cat was named Amber. When I got my SECOND cat, I began to think Amber was a "he". Took him to the vet, told him to "fix IT" and if it was really a boy, don't tell "her" because I'd been telling her she was a "pretty girl". She was a he....vet said his "parts" hadn't decended. He lived to be 13, still called Amber

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

This must happen alot! My exabf's mum had a persian blue, very fluffy! They called 'her' Patsy. When combing her fur they found a knot that wouldn't brush out on her belly. So the family took Patsy to the groomer, who promptly told them that Pasty was a 'he' and they didn't need to worry about his fur!

poor cat, imagine having that combed through all the time!!!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxx