Need a meeting buddy...

Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a meeting buddy...

You know how they say the best way to start an exercise program is to find an exercise buddy? Well I think the best way for me to find a recovery program is to find a buddy! Is there anyone out there who hasn't been going to meetings/would like to start again, but is a bit nervous? I've gone to several when I lived in the east, but not since I moved out west. I printed out my local meetings schedule, and I think I am ready to start the recovery process again...I have been feeling SO lost lately, and I think it's time to work on that. I was thinking we could each pick a night that works for us to go, then talk about it when we get back. Maybe if I knew someone else just as nervous as I am was also sitting in a circle somewhere else in the country, I would be a bit less anxious. Lemme know if any of you are interested!!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Can't make sense out of crazy.

Hi there,

I'm going to my first (in years) AlAnon meeting Friday evening.

When are you going?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

there is no reason for fear.

Go to a few mtgs. to find one that feels right for your home mtg.
Then reach out to make friends there and use their phone list.
I have met and kept two of my best friends in alanon in the past 5 1/2 years.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really need to just bite the bullet and go for it. I am not quite sure what I'm afraid of - maybe if I identify that, it would help me be a bit more brave...
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have not yet been to a meeting...I am going to my first one on Wednesday...I don't know what to think I have never been to one, I am pretty nervous too...
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

prayers to all of you reaching out for that first meeting, or that first meeting in a new area -
I remember how tough it was to walk in that room - how much my stomach was in knots. Then I remember the gentle smiles - the warmth of friendship in the room - the feeling of acceptance and soft peace that slowly entered my inner self as I set in a room of strangers but yet somehow it felt like they understood.

Remember in recovery we have choices - give a meeting 6 tries is what we suggest in our home group - if you don't feel a connection, sense the recovery, then you are welcome to try another group.

After all what is 6 nights compared to the yrs of misery we have already been thru - right?

Remember it's ok to cry, to not cry, to talk, to not talk, to read, to not read -

everything is ok.

wishing you serenity, joy and courage to take that step,
Rita