10 Day Challenge - Day #8 - Sunday, June 8

Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking 10 Day Challenge - Day #8 - Sunday, June 8

Day 8 of the 10 Day Challenge is here....coming into the home stretch people!

When I started school this past semester I read some different articles about motivation and the stuff I'm posting below stuck with me - and just rang a practical bell....

People who have a vision control their destiny and lifestyle. For people without a vision, their destiny and lifestyle is controlled by others.

We become what we think about all day.
To change our lifestyle we must change our thinking habits.
We change our thinking habits by focusing on desired goals.

The person who achieved their goal had a VISION that MOTIVATED them.

A vision that motivates is the standard constant for success across all social classes and/or lifestyles. It does not matter how many years a person spent in a slump or stuck, a motivating vision is the common denominator for achieving change.

So how do we find motivation to make even small changes in our life. First you have to have a true sense of what you wish to achieve. Where are you going? What do you want?

From PTB:

Developing Tangible Focus
A common motivation killer is a lack of focus. How often do you focus on what you don’t want, rather than on a concrete goal?

We normally think in terms of fear. I’m afraid of being poor. I’m afraid no one will respect me. I’m afraid of being alone. The problem with this type of thinking is that fear alone isn’t actionable. Instead of doing something about our fear, it feeds on itself and drains our motivation.

If you’re caught up in fear based thinking, the first step is focusing that energy on a well defined goal.

By defining a goal, you automatically define a set of actions. If you have a fear of poverty, create a plan to increase your income. It could be going back to school, obtaining a higher paying job, or developing a profitable website. The key is moving from an intangible desire to concrete, measurable steps.

By focusing your mind on a positive goal instead of an ambiguous fear, you put your brain to work. It instantly begins devising a plan for success. Instead of worrying about the future you start to do something about it. This is the first step in motivating yourself to take action. When you know what you want, you become motivated to take action.

Developing Direction
An important piece in the motivational puzzle is direction. If focus means having an ultimate goal, direction is having a day-to-day strategy to achieve it. A lack of direction kills motivation because without an obvious next action we succumb to procrastination.

The key to finding direction is identifying the activities that lead to success. For every goal, there are activities that pay off and those that don’t. Make a list of all your activities and arrange them based on results. Then make a make an action plan that focuses on the activities that lead to big returns.

Keeping track of your most important tasks will direct your energy towards success. Without a constant reminder, it’s easy to waste entire days on filler activities like surfing the web, email, mindless television watching, routines of daily living we wish to break out of.

Create a plan that contains two positive actions. The first one should be a small task you’ve been meaning to do, while the second should be a long-term goal. Immediately do the smaller task. This creates positive momentum. After that take the first step towards achieving the long-term goal.

Doing this periodically is great for getting out of a slump, creating positive reinforcement, and getting long-term plans moving.
It’s inevitable that you’ll encounter periods of low energy, bad luck, and even the occasional failure.

If you don’t discipline your mind, these minor speed bumps can turn into mental monsters. Remember - initial bursts of energy that are highly motivating when beginning a new project will wane. Prepare yourself for this eventuality and keep your Focus List with small and large goals and tasks at hand. It may take self -discipline and meditating repeatedly on your VISION to keep you crossing things off your list!

"Perseverance is the key! Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unrewarded talent. Education alone will not: the world is full of educated failures. Persistance alone is omnipotent."
Calvin Coolidge

OK! Hope that motivates everyone to walk a mile!
Happy Trails-B.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bernadette! I woke up focusing (hard!) on what I DON'T want in life, so it was great to read this.

GL