10 Day Challenge- Day #4 - Wednesday June 4

Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 Day Challenge- Day #4 - Wednesday June 4

Yippeeee- we're on our fourth mile! (or more as some of you have posted of long walks!!)

#4: It's gratitude today.
Let's let our minds run the gamut from any little appreciations we can find in each moment to the big universe-size things we are grateful for. Even if we are struggling in our life circumstances right now, and we find it hard to look past our difficulties, just for this walk, try to find something in your heart or something along your walking path to give thanks for...

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." JFK

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful." Buddha

Happy Trails-- B.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't done my walk yet but thought I'd share one thing I do when I start each day.

I thank God each morning for all his blessings. I thank God for having been born in this time and place that has allowed me to have so many opportunities and the right to be something. I know that if I had been born in another era or in another place I would not have the opportunities I have. I thank God that he has given me the abilities and skills to make something of my life. I thank God that I can learn from any adversity that comes my way. I thank God that thru his grace I have all that I have.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today I am thankful for my dd, for my crazy dog, for my friends and family-including those of you on SR, for the geese that flew over my head while I walked my crazy dog at 6 am. And as hard as my life has been lately, I am grateful to be where I am- getting healthier.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am grateful that as I put on my jeans this morning, they fit a little looser. I'm grateful that I have the energy to get up and have a great day regardless of the rain coming down. I'm grateful for all the wonderful people in my life, too numerous to begin listing.

I'm grateful to be alive, and in the moment.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought about these lines, which are the ones in a movie called "American Beauty" spoken when the lead character is dying:

"I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars... And yellow leaves, from the maple trees, that lined my street... Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper... And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird... I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life."

I cry like a child every time I hear that voice-over.

Today, I am full of gratitude, for all I've come through alive, for all the possibilities I've been given to be happy, for all the possibilities still out there waiting for me if I'll only keep walking and focusing on Me.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow I had such a lousy day today!! Just non-stop crap. Like everything: money woes, my DENTAL woes, kid's dental woes, discovered a slow leak in my left rear tire (automobile woes!), missed a deadline for my kid for a summer thing, found out about a new obstacle in my Nursing program that may make me need an extra semester, and it just rained all day, just yuk-a-doodle-doo.

So it was a good day to focus on gratitude!! Otherwise I think I'd be a puddle right now. Just took my walk, in the dark drizzle.

As soon as I start thinking about gratitude I get all choked up. Does that happen to anyone else? I am so grateful to so many people who have helped me through the years. I am grateful forever that I had the Nana I had as little girl. She was pure love and a safe haven from our crazy alcoholic household.
I am grateful I can walk and am in good health.
I am grateful to my body, for all the million times I've looked in a mirror and criticized somethig about my body - yet it goes about its million miracles a day keeping me alive and kicking and I gave it a big hug and a thank you tonight!
I stopped and smelled some soaking pink roses, and I am grateful for the flowers and all the beauty of nature.
I am grateful I got out of my marriage.
I'm grateful I got into my marriage so I had these 2 boys I love to bits.
I am grateful I met my sweetie while I am in a good mental health state and so we have a healthy relationship.
I'm broke, but I have a job, I will not go under, very grateful for that.
I'm grateful to all of you here on SR for sharing so generously your ES&H, and for the fellowship I feel here on this forum.
I'm grateful for the rain.
I thank B-52 for reminding me of the blessing of just being born where and when I was!!
I am grateful that chocolate and tea are my DOC's.
I am grateful that although today really sucked -- it could have been worse!

Peace,
B.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, by the time I had time to go for my walk, the weather went and got real nasty. Then the power went out and since I live on the 10th floor and am not willing to walk back up 10 floors, I was trapped. 3 hrs later the power came back on but the weather was still nasty, tornado warnings and all. So no walk today. But I'm grateful that I had time to sit and read this afternoon since I couldn't do anything electronic.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I missed the post for this day, but I am so touched by this thread. I'm with Bernadette, I get so choaked up when I begin to think about the beauty of the world and the kindness we all show to one another. I cry when ever I see happiness, my daughter pulls an understanding face and gets me tissues!

So thank you all for sharing, my heart is swelling right now! We all have so much don't we? like the quote from American Beauty says (love that film too Givelove) how can we be mad when there is so much beauty in the world? I am close to loosing my grandma i think, she is drifting away from us through repetitive stroks and demensia. The nana I once knew has gone. I too will always remember her hands and the way she would supply endless cups of tea and sandwhiches on our visits! I am thankful for every day she is still with us. She has always been a pillar of strength. Divorced from her alcoholic husband she raised five children alone, and coped with the loss of two who died in early childhood. She has always worked and has been such a strong independant woman, a true head of the family. I am privilaged to have known her and been a part of her life.

Today I will focus on holding onto that feeling and carry it with me into tomorrow.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG Lily - your post got the waterworks going for me!!
Being with with Nana + tea + sandwiches = HEAVEN!!!
I am sorry your Nana is slipping away. Enjoy these days with her, I miss mine so much.
(((hugs)))
B.