Codependent with sister?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gns

Codependent with sister?

My sister has been greatest support in my life.

She had a child 16 months ago and is due again in sept. We have been fighting a lot recently and I am not sure if that is because she is not as available for me and doesnt seem to be there for me as much.

I do love my nephew and I don't know if I am being petty.

We have had some pretty ugly fights, too.

Anyone else go through this kind of change?
Any advice?

It makes me feel like I need to go find a boyfriend to have my own support. I do have friends but it is not the same.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What kind of support are you talking about...support to keep from using/drinking again? Are you in a support group like AA or NA? You should give it a try and let your sister get on with her own life while you get on with yours.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what your story is gns I haven't looked, but your sister will have different priorities now she has a child, and if she's 5 months pregnant she'll be starting to get tired, especially with a toddler to look after too.

Form what you said it sounds like your sister has been there for you at times when you needed support, maybe you could give her a little support now she needs it. All relationships change and move on with time, maybe your relationship with your sister could be better with a little give and take?
Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gns

Suki - no, not alcohol or drug support, just emotional support.

Thanks, Lucy.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Probably not the right reason to find a boyfriend, gns. I agree with the others. Your sister's life has become much busier and she's naturally focussing her attention on her children. I was tired and preoccupied all the time when my daughter was a toddler. Can't imaging being pregnant and chasing around a toddler. What with all the morning sicknes, backaches, tiredness, and huge belly, too. It can be overwhelming.

If you're in need of emotional support, how about pampering yourself or asking a friend out to dinner or posting more often on SR? I've learned that when I'm feeling particularly needy, that's the wrong time to purposely look for a new boyfriend.