Burned Out

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Burned Out

After several months of drama, toxicity, change, work stress, and coming down with cold after cold, I am DRAINED.

Yesterday I literally could not budge. I managed to work out for an hour but otherwise didnt leave the apartment. I really wanted to clean but I couldn't get the motivation. My house looks exactly like the inside of my mind right now.

I don't have the energy to do anything but Yoga and just the minimum to get by at work. I'm a very creative person but I am completely blocked.

Part of the transition I guess, but I'm in a place where I don't know who I am or how I feel.

I'm trying to find a new therapist, my last one scaled back her practice and let me go. And maybe a stronger antidepressant.

Last edited by Angelus; 05-19-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: comma
Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right there with you. My kids have toys strewn all over my living room. Rather than pick them, I've just pushed them aside to make a path from one end to the other. Definitely looks like my brain "feels" at the moment. Kind of like the thinking/feeling parts of my brain have shut down and I'm just on autopilot and managing to get through the day. I just upped my medication per my new therapist. Make the calls today to find a therapist. You sound just like me...which means you need some assistance to get you through this. If you do nothing else, make that call.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you find a new therapist quicky, one who can help you find your way through all that you are facing. (hugs)
Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Autopilot, that's the word. I would have found it if I wasn't on....what's the word again?

Therapist...yes. Immediately
Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drained is a good word for me too. I'm sure we've all experienced this in going through all the drama. I try to nap, but get nowhere- my brain is going like a hamster on a wheel. I hope one day to settle down when some of the bigger things I'm dealing with are resolved. In the meantime I'm trying to take it easy on myself- like you I'm creative- and have to be at work, but I'm not able to focus as I'd like to. So what? It will get done- may not be award-winning, but I'm not looking for awards right now. I'm just looking for peace. Take care of you too. . .
Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

(((Angelus)))

I can relate. Stress definitely lowers your immune system. Finding a new therapist will help you put things back in perspective. Hope you find that "right" one!

Take care
Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, my house looks like the day I moved -- stuff everywhere and nothing unpacked or organized. It's all I can do to keep myself together for work by keeping myself clean and neat (and the lawn mowed ) I'm choosing to take pride in that accomplishment.

My water heater developed a leak last month, so I called our office manager (I rent from my boss) and she tried to find someone to come over and fix it. Before long the former property manager came by to look and see if she could help. She is very nice and was very helpful to me during my crisis move, so of course I had her come in and look. But I was mortified to have her see the mess everywhere. She loaned me a couple of those professional carpet fans to help dry up the water, and when I later apologized about the house, she kindly said sometimes we just do the best we can. I eventually replaced the heater myself and got to take my labor off the rent!

I'm into my 5th month now, and I am slowly regaining my spirit and motivation. I talked last night to one of my good and supportive friends, and she affirmed that I am sounding better. I am still waiting for the return of feelings that life is meaningful and I have a purpose. I'm accepting that traumatic stress has affecting me greatly, and numbness is one of the effects to recover from.

Hang in there, please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

(((((Angelus))))) hang in there.

I was were you are now a month ago. To help me through I reached out for help from family to reclaim and clean my space. I can't tell you just how beneficial that was to my mood overall. I took a week off work and really had to force myself to get started, I threw away bags and bags of rubbish and clutter.

Try to just tackle little things. Sometimes when I look at everything at once it overwhelms me and has a negative effect on my motivation. Now I try to do little but often. I tidy my sitting room, have a cuppa. I hoover, watch some TV. etc. It sounds silly but it really works!

hopefully if you can up your meds this will help too. I increased mine a few months ago and it has really helped.

Be kind to yourself
Blessings and hugs
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx