developing outside interests

Old 05-18-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gns

developing outside interests

Are there other activities/forums that you participate in that you have found help you grow yourself (not necesarily self-help)

I am trying to replace my victim forums (survivinginfidelity) with healthier proactive interests.

I love tripadvisor reviews and forums.

As far as activities, Yoga, and going out with friends have been good healthy activities for me. I should go to the gym, too i guess, but not as much fun!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love gardening. Working with plants, the earth, and spending summer mornings outside with a hose in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other is just a special "me" time that I relish!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ditto, peace teach~

gardening is tops on my happy list right now, loving my animals (4 of them), reading, book discussion groups (in winter), getting to the beaches, trail walking, inviting a friend over for pancakes and coffee, going to a movie and my hobby which has turned into a business: making organic skin care stuff. I have fun!!!

Hope you do too!
Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey gns good luck in your quest for stretching your interests!! It's a world of possibilities out there!

It kind of makes me feel guilty to mention this cuz i haven't done it in a while but it really helped me when I first had to accept what a freaked-out revved-up codie I was; I volunteered to do literacy tutoring to adults at the library.

When I finally admitted I was powerless over the alcoholics and I "got" that idea in my brain I was like - well what am I gonna do with all this leftover "help" I have built up inside me?? It was actually really refreshing to help people who WANTED and NEEDED my help!! LOL.

I wish I could garden, but have no dirt around my house! Urban. However we did just plant some indoor catnip for Tigger...I love walking, walking everywhere, down by the river, in the park, around the block; bike riding; book club; started knitting again this year; and I've gone back to school to finally get a college degree and am just finishing my 1st semester. School is awesome, and it is great to be an older student, you really appreciate how much amazing stuff you have learned just by living!

Peaceteach I LOVE this image I have now of you with a hose and a cup of coffee on a summer morning! Too funny! But I can see how it is just one of those precious moments that, if we're mindful, can be paradise!

Peace all--
B.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Ditto on gardening!

I get to choose how I want my garden to look, I watch it grow and flourish, and at the end of the summer when the annuals are at their zenith I love thinking back to how I bought them in their tiny little containers and feel a big sense of pride.

Yeah - I made this beautiful thing!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I play on a softball team age 50-and-over. I'm going to take some golf lessons - my sister-in-law gave me her old set of clubs. I want to try something called "geocaching" which is a treasure hunt using a GPS. I like to check out youtube and Godtube. I get on a website that has to do with my job.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't tried it myself, but it's been suggested to me to volunteer at a local animal shelter as someone who will walk dogs or play with the cats. It sounds like a great way to experience some appreciation from beings who are so lonely for attention. Hmmm, I may have to consider it for myself....