Blessings come in many forms

Old 05-11-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Blessings come in many forms

Whew, what a night here on the east coast. The rain has been pouring for hours. We have local flooding (my back yard is a swamp) and tornado warnings are in effect. The wind is howling. The power keeps flickering and threatening to go out (I have a flashlight sitting right beside my computer).

Yet, here I am sitting at my kitchen table, warm and dry, spending the evening with my daughter and pups and all my friends at SR on this Mother's Day and reflecting on just how much I've grown, how far I've come since I joined the forum, how happy and peaceful my home is today, and how blessed I am.

Who knew that all I had to do to get here was to let go and let God (and take charge of my life)? Looking back, it seems the answer to what ailed me was so easy. It was wrapping my head around the fact that I couldn't change anyone and that I held the key to my happiness that was difficult.

It's like Glenda the good witch said to Dorothy in the final scene in The Wizzard of Oz: "You had the power (to change your life) all along, but you wouldn't have believed me. You had to learn it on your own. Now click your heels together three times and repeat after me:

There's no place like recovery.
There's no place like recovery.
There's no place like recovery."

For everyone who's still struggling with the effects of another person's drinking I wish you peace and warm, dry nights surrounded by the people you love during the storms of your life.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awww, how very beautiful a post, FD. I had a very nice weekend with both of my grown children in also icky weather. I loved it too!

There truly is no place like home (and recovery) when it's what YOU make of it
Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks FD, I'm glad you had a nice day and love the analogy.
It's like Glenda the good witch said to Dorothy in the final scene in The Wizzard of Oz: "You had the power (to change your life) all along, but you wouldn't have believed me. You had to learn it on your own.
Hmmmm....Maybe recovery is much like Dorothy's visit to Oz. While walking along the yellow brick road with flawed but dear friends, facing the challenges that life brings, she finds out that those ruby slippers weren't really needed after all. They were just a symbol. Maybe they symbolize the power of a person's will? Who'd have thought that movie was such a good analagy of what we call ESH?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The more I think about that movie, the more I'm convinced that it may have been written by someone who struggled with addiction, or another person's addiction. After all, it was quite the fantasy, wasn't it? Not ony was it utterly entertaining, but it contained many hidden messages. I suppose that's why it remains a perennial favorite of so many people.

By the way, when my sister and I played "The Wizzard of Oz," I always wanted to be Glenda, the good witch, not Dorothy.

Last edited by FormerDoormat; 05-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What a nice post!

I make other references to the Wizard of Oz... it was a real aha moment for me when I realized that my ex was just a man, the small sad man behind the curtain and NOT the scary, great and powerful OZ as he wanted me to believe.

Thanks for sharing your ESH with us today, FD. It's been an interesting journey, hasn't it?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it has been an interesting journey, CatsPJ, and I wouldn't change a thing. I may be back in Kansas with Auntie Em now, but I'm a changed woman and no longer a child wearing a checkered dress, bobby socks, and ruby slippers.

I'm on the other side of the rainbow now. And the view from here is spectacular.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

what a beautiful post FD! Thank you!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for that post!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Right now I'm still Dorothy in Oz and those nasty flying monkeys keep dropping off nasty news for me which keeps me in a tailspin. I've got only one click on my ruby slippers (got the A out of my house) but I'm still working on getting the anger and hurt out of my head. Thank you for the GREAT analogy! I'm glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day and stayed dry!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Thank you so much FD for the beautiful post. It gives me the inspiration I need right now. And the analogy of the Wizard of Oz is perfect!
Funny, every mother's day, I usually just think of it as another day, clean, do laundry, usually eat by myself (my kids will call and wish me happy mother's day, pick me up a gift, but never really stay cause of AH, and I usually turned down the invites to dinner), but yesterday, as I was planning on making myself my usual mother's day lamb chops, baked potatoe and dine alone, my granddaughters (7 yo & 6 yo) called me and wanted me to come pick up my gifts. They made me a picture and bought me a scratch off lotto ticket. Then they wanted me to come to dinner w/them. Not really wanting to go, I said "If Grammy wins more than $15 on this scratch off, I'll go to dinner w/you guys" figuring I'd never win and go home and eat alone. Well, I won!!! So I took them all out to dinner with my winnings and we had a really great time (and the kids ate free, to boot!!)!!! To me, that was a sign that HP said "you really gotta get out more girl and enjoy life." Yesterday was a new beginning for me! But you know what, I had the power to do it all along, I just didn't look hard enough!!! And that restaurant had specials during the week, and me and my son are going Wednesday for dinner!
Again, FD, thanks for your post!!!