He quit drinking!

Old 05-10-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He quit drinking!

I am floored and still finding this hard to believe. I just had to share with you guys. I just found out yesterday that my xabf quit drinking 2 months ago. I guess I don't need to elaborate. I just know that you guys know how amazing this is and how thankful and inspirational I find this news. I only want to pray and give thanks and pray that he remain strong in this decision.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Great news!! Just wondering is he working a recovery program?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lexusgirl,

i really don't think so, but I did not inquire too deeply when I talked with him.
We actually talked for quite a while but when he touched on the subject I felt it best to just be happy for him and not dwell on his process, I guess I was afraid that making too big of a deal of it would seem, hmmm judgmental(?) I guess I was just afraid of saying the wrong thing.

All I can tell is that he made the decision on his own after being fired. I know he drinks a lot of soda now and coffee and eats a lot of food in general and candy. He's spending lots of time with his children and thinking about going back to school, he's still looking for a job. he said it (sobriety) is a struggle everyday though, and seeing as it's not like he drank for a year and got hooked that it's going to be a struggle for a long time coming.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Absolutely!! Although like my xabf, without working a program it's just abstaining. Not to sound preachy or anything.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sketscher~

be glad, but keep it in perspective. cautious optimism. very cautious. stay realistic and don't make any decisions based on this possibly temporary action.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is good news. I do hope he gets into a recovery program though. It is nearly impossible to succeed at recovery without one.

My AH quit drinking for a few months when I left but never went to AA or anything. After about 3 months, he went bad to drinking as much as before and still continues that way.

I hope your xbf will be different.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, as for working a program. that would be up to him ...not up to me to suggest. Nor my place to suggest.

But I would like to add...that it is obviously not impossible. As I do know of a few people who have succeeded (as in decades) in sobriety without working a formal program.

but hey that's just my experience and belief in the human spirit and faith in God, who provides us the strength to heal ourselves, and of course we often need one another on that journey.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh and ps I am not making any decisions based on this. I'm just inspired and happy for him and his mom and kids. And mainly just surprised beyond belief because I really never expected him to try to quit. he's lost jobs before, he's lost his wife, his house. I don't know what happened but I'm just inspired like I said, that if he can change it's possible for me and anyone else to change. everyday is a new day.