Something Clicked

Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something Clicked

This weekend, I finally realized I have the mind of an alcoholic. Alcohol and drug abuse runs heavy in my family, and I have witnessed it firsthand, but I always thought that it would be ok for me to drink, if just a little. What I realize now, is I don't think I should. It's in my blood to not want to stop. On top of that, I'm not good with substances of any sort, whether it be caffeine, pills, food etc. I picked up that glass, and I couldn't stop, as if there was some sort of magnetic bond between me and my drink. I don't want to be an alcoholic. I know me, and if I started drinking heavily, I'd end up in an alley somewhere, with a cardboard box. I don't need that for myself. Anyone feel the same?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit drinking 14 years ago. I was 24 when I quit. I have wondered if I was just doing what people did who were my age and in college. I went to AA and found a way of life that I love. I don't want to try anymore to see if I am an alcoholic. It isn't broken so I am not going to fix it! I can relate. My life is so much better today.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

See, I havent drank much in my life, but im scared of college,because if i already have a problem with it, its hard to never party.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Both my parents were alcoholics. Both my brothers are alcoholics: one in recovery for 20+ years now, the other doesn't admit to it.

I have never even come to close to addiction to alcohol or drugs. I enjoy a drink now and then, when much younger (30+ years ago) I did binge in college, but it has never even seemed close to addictive to me. Heck I've had an open bottle of wine in my kitchen for almost a week now. I may have the last glass tonite but I may not.

On the other hand, I am addicted to nicotine. Sooner or later I've got to beat that one. I do have a tendency to use food as a comforting substance and therefore battle being overweight.

I think addictive behaviors are a combination of genetic tendencies and learned behaviors.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't drink much because of my family history. I come from a long line of alcoholics and fear becoming one myself. I have beer in the house from when friends came into town in January, but I don't drink beer so it's easy to ignore.

Barb: I smoked for more years than I care to admit. I tried to quit SEVERAL times. What finally did it was the gum. The patch didn't give me the instant jolt, but the gum did. I stayed on it for over six months (under doctor supervision) and gradually cut it out. I would highly suggest it if you want to quit.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit both times I was pregnant cold turkey. This time, when I finally talk myself into being ready, I think I'll try drugs in one form or another, the patch or gum or something. I just turn into too much of a raving beotch for about a week when I do cold turkey. But I ain't ready yet.