Always Good to Get a Second Opinion/ Alternative Treatments

Old 04-29-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Always Good to Get a Second Opinion/ Alternative Treatments

Hello,

I was looking back on my experience I just thought I'd share that there was a point when I had wanted my friend to get checked out by a doctor to see what kind of physical condition he was in and hopefully for him to get confirmation that he was an alcoholic.

He finally agreed but of course on the day he was in a 'normal' state and explained that he only drank to sleep. Even after I explained to the doctor (a GP) all the symptons that my friend had been experiencing - blackouts, shakes etc. , in the end I believe my friend was just experiencing some depression (he wasn't workign steadily at the time) and expressly told him that he was not an alcoholic! He did suggest however that he should take a look at hypnotherapy to get to the root of his depression.

Basically that was all my friend needed to hear and I think that I also wanted to believe afterwards that maybe his drinking was within his control, after all -that's what the doctor said. My friend was an alcoholic though and a chronic one at that, and a second opinion from someone more familiar with such addictions probably would have confirmed that. I'm not saying that it would've changed anything but the more informed you are about something the better.

Just to add, my friend would've been interested in being hypnotized out of sheer curiosity. From what I've read though the desire to stop drinking, as with any related treatment, must be there for hypnotherapy to work effectively.

I am however putting it out there for persons who may want to explore alternative treatments if one or the other isn't working out. I personally believe that getting to the root of someone's psychological or emotional issues is key to treating any form of addictive behaviour and anything that can get someone to face such issues in a healthy manner is a positive steps.

Of course, I have no credentials of any sort on the matter, so you should probably get a second opinion :-).

Hope this helps.