This too shall pass........

Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jadmack, healing thoughts are radiating from California for your friend.....

L
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My Grandfather used to say "Nothing too too good, or too too bad, lasts for too too long" I never liked the too too good not lasting, but in time I began to see both happening and continue to.

A few years ago, a friend of mine lost her daughter in an accident and her husband to cancer in the same week. She said to me, "I'll never be happy again" As trite and easy as it may have seemed for me to say, I responded with " You will find happiness again, just a different kind of happiness"...and she has.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This may sound silly but I've been thinking about this very life philosophy a lot lately as well, because my bf got me the box set of the TV series Six Feet Under for Christmas, and that show really deals a lot with this very theme. Thanks for bumping this--it truly is one of those "keys to life" slogans that resonates.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't know if you read anything by Caroline Myss but I have been listening to her CD on grace and healing almost daily lately in an effort to move forward. She also mentions this thought as she talks about walking into chaos rather than avoiding it - based on the idea that sometimes chaos is divine action meant to bring about change in our lives. So, she speaks about how even when things are chaotic - and changing - that a situation is also ever changing. The chaos is different everyday as much as we are different everyday. Hard concept for my mind to wrap around.

Thanks for the bump! the thoughts and prayers! the support and push forward! the grounded step by step movement - changing but solid.

Had a tough session today in therapy -still hearing what I am doing that is good for RAH but hearing what is not so good for me.

I thank God for everyone on this site - my kids - my gifts for helping others even when it hurts.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm bumping up this thread because a few posts today have reminded me of this. Rather than trying to recreate these thoughts, it's easier just to bump it up.

I find it very curious that very often, when things are bad, we cling to the idea that they will get better. But, when things are good, we assume they will stay that way and are taken by surprise when they change.

L
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I also find myself thinking, when things are bad, that they will stay that way forever and ever and I am doomed and without options

Thanks LTD for the reminder, "this too shall pass"... very Zen...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know this is off topic, but rereading this thread made me wonder where Barbara52 has gone. She really helped me a lot with her posts when I first joined this forum, and I miss her insight and wisdom. I hope she is well.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Oh, yes I remember her, hope she is well. She has helped me a great deal, too.

Glad to "read you" Mambo Queen!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

bump
Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, yeah. Thanks for the bump, LTD.

I have seen over and over, during my recovery, the truth that trying to hold onto the good and trying to avoid or escape the bad, is indeed the source of virtually all suffering. Buddha was, indeed, an enlightened being.

And I'm also a lot better at enduring the bad stuff, knowing it will pass, than at letting go of the need to hold onto the good stuff. Way too much attachment to people, things, and situations.

I needed to be reminded of that today.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I have seen over and over, during my recovery, the truth that trying to hold onto the good and trying to avoid or escape the bad, is indeed the source of virtually all suffering. Buddha was, indeed, an enlightened being.
It was my therapist who first pointed out to me how many of the behaviors I developed over the years were to avoid being uncomfortable. And how those behaviors actually caused me more suffering than the thing I was trying to avoid. Rather twisted....

L
Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
It was my therapist who first pointed out to me how many of the behaviors I developed over the years were to avoid being uncomfortable. And how those behaviors actually caused me more suffering than the thing I was trying to avoid. Rather twisted....

L
I have found the same thing (with my therapist's help).

Once I realized what I was doing (and why) it helped immensely. I still struggle to be with some of the hard stuff but it is so much better then it used to be.

I also get now how much more the problem is me and my trying to avoid, rather then what someone else is doing.