Legal stories?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Legal stories?

Would anyone want to share their experiences with the legal system re: their As? Quicky recapping- ah and I are divorcing after an alcohol related wreck where he injured a family of four. The injured family is going after everything the insurance company can give them plus punitive damages, which the policy doesn't cover. My atty said that if we filed the divorce papers before they filed their charges (which we did) they would not be able to take my assets (such as they are!). But I am getting nervous now and wondered if anyone else had any experience with this kind of thing.

I know it's different state-to-state and situation-to-situation, but I'm curious what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No one has any thoughts on this? Wondered if any of you ended up being liable for A's bad behavior, debts, judgements against, etc. Thanks for any input!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rosie: It's complicated and because the laws are different from state to state, hard to figure out if you would be liable also.

I do know that whatever debt was incurred during the marriage will be yours also. Some states have different laws when a couple has filed for divorce, some still see it as a marriage until the divorce is finalized.

Call your attorney and ask for a play by play of how this works in your state. They should be able to tell you more.

I practice in NY only and this is not my area, so I wouldn't even know how NY handled it.