'Round and round it goes...just a vent

Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

'Round and round it goes...just a vent

It's been a bad night.

My husband is an alcoholic. He's the type who will be sober for months and months at a time, then he starts drinking a little, then he gets out of control, then he stops for a few more months. It's a merry go round that is so tired and old but one I'm used to so I don't get off. My problem, there, I know.

I just feel like I need to vent a bit.

I've suspected for the last few weeks that he was drinking again, but I didn't see it or smell it so I tried to go about my life and not dwell on what he is or isn't doing. Tonight our 14 year old went to a party and my husband was supposed to pick him up (I don't drive). I went to wake him up and it was clear to me at that point that he was drunk off his butt. He couldn't even stand without swaying. I was around him all night and didn't see him drink, but I also wasn't looking for it. He claimed he was fine to drive and tried to leave, so I took his keys and then took a taxi to retrieve my son. When I got home, he wasn't here and still isn't. The car is out there (thank god) but I don't know where he's stumbled off to.

I know he's not my responsibility but I love him. I just don't think I can do this much longer.

Not looking for advice...just needed to get it out. Hang in there, everyone who is going through something similar. You have to wonder how a life so full of promise becomes so full of pain.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey ichabod
(((hugs)))
sorry you're back on the merry-go-round...
it's very painful, nerve-wracking, scary....
I hope you speak frankly w/ your son about what's up with his dad...it's good to call it what it is - alcoholism - and just let your teenager know that YOU know it is hard for him, as it is for you. As a daughter of an alcoholic, that's what I wish my mom had done for us kids...just to be honest about REALITY.

I hope your husband is OK, and I hope you find some peace of mind soon!!
Peace,
B.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

Hi I--

I truly feel your pain and I am so sorry...it is a crazy merry-go-round, isn't it? I hate that there are times when it feels like we truly can't get off. > I agree with you; I truly wonder how promising lives become so painful...but it's not up to us to solve these problems for them. Hang in there and I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs