First Mother's Day without mom

Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Mother's Day without mom

I feel so sad... tomorrow will be the first time without mom on Mother's Day. I brought her from Michigan to live with me in Dallas last year, but she passed in August (ironically on her wedding anniversary and my dad's birthday).

I had her for 54 years and for that I am grateful. I just miss her so terribly.

My alcoholic brother COULD be a source of support, but we are estranged at the moment. I don't imagine he is taking this well either since he and mom were also close.

To those of you who still have your mom, cherish your time together. Time goes by too fast and then it is too late.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mother is no longer with us, but I do miss her.
I try to honor her memory in some way on Mother's Day.
Especially to avoid the self pity I have done before.

Today, I am going to buy some flowers and put them in a container on the porch.
I went to an AlAnon meeting today.
Partly for my mother's memory, but mostly for me.
('Cause HP knows how I NEED it!)

Beth

Happy Mother's Day to all!
Celebrate Life!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a great idea Beth! I am trying to be positive and remember the good... flowers would be a good pick me upper!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Sadie, my mother passed i n Jan., so i am in the same boat as you---I understand how you are feeling. My mother was 92. You lost your mother at a young age. Please accept my cyber condolences. I will definitely think about you tomorrow.

I am going to create some sort of ceremony for my mother tomorrow, also.

Thanks, wicked.

sincerely, dandylion
Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dandylion....

My mom was 85 when she passed. What I trying to say was that I had her for my 54 years of my life. Sorry for the confusion. Please accept my condolences as well. God bless.

Pat
Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My mom died when I was 30--I'm older now than she was when she died. I miss her very much. She was a very cool mom--my friends always wanted to come to my house because she was a riot. She's the one who gave me my slightly offbeat sense of humor. And my older son was only a year old when she died--she would have been such a cool grandma for my kids to have known.

Sorry for your recent loss, Sadie. Cherish those good memories. I still have dreams sometimes about the fights I used to have with my mom in the fabric store. She was an excellent seamstress and made ALL my clothes. But we would regularly disagree about what kind of fabric would "work" for a particular outfit. I always wake up from those dreams smiling, as if I had a visit with her.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexiecat. (just an aside, my niece is named Lexie and her email is lexiecat!)

So nice that you can still dream about her all these years later. I had one very vivid dream not too long after she died that I call "The Goodbye Dream". My mom was from rural Minnesota and grew up on farm. They can have some wicked storms up there and my mom loved to go out in them as a kid and her whole life. In my dream, I was my age (54) and I was standing in a wheat field. The sky was black and ominous and the wind was blowing like crazy. I was looking at the horizon and I could actually see the world turning. Over the crest of the wheat in the distant horizon I saw a young woman walking toward me. She had a clear path through the wheat directly toward me. As she got closer I recognized her as my mother at about age 20. She had this big smile on her face and she was pulling at the wheat with her hands as she walked. She got about 10 feet away from me and started twirling around, lifting her arms in the air like she was dancing in the storm. I could not speak. She did this for awhile and then started walking back down the path from which she came. As she was just about out of view, she turned around to me and waved and then disappeared over the horizon. I will never forget that!! It has brought me a lot of comfort.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My Mom been gone 6 years. I didn't handle her death well that's when I first started drinking, 5 months ago I realized how much she would be hurt that I was drinking, so to honor her I stopped and am trying to be the daughter she always knew. Im sorry it will be such a hard day for you, just try to remember good time.