Getting there...

Old 04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Getting there...

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of a divorce and for those that have been "watching my show" :-) you know it's been bumpy.

My wife has played dirty and her attorney is really trying to run me over. At the advice of my attorney I'd been doing the same, but I kept feeling lousy about it and telling myself "This divorce is making me be someone I don't want to be." So, I won't be that person anymore. It sounds simple but it was like a light bulb going off. When she throws a rock I'll simply step to the side... when I have to react I'll do it carefully and as politely as possible. I'm a Christian and I'm trying to implement he WWJD mentality.

That does not mean I'll let myself get walked over. My wife is claiming abuse against me, I had originally filed no fault for the divorce but am having to counter-claim for habitual drunkenness to protect myself. I will defend myself, I just won't be short, rude and ugly.

The one issue I have is that my lawyer didn't seem to happy with this. I sent him some info on taxes that my wife needed (he suggested I force her to file an extension) and after some ranting he said "Screw her.", that's a quote. So, now I have to make sure my lawyer protects my best interest but also follows my direction on getting things handled politely.

My main point here is that I see myself growing some and thinking clearer because I was able to put that garbage aside and try to be more like the person I am and the person I want to be.

Hope everyone finds victory in today!

God bless.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I support you, TD. It's always better to take the high road, and you will feel better about yourself.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Attorneys are in the business of making money. The more you two disagree, the longer it drags out, the more money the attorneys make. Unfortunately, that's the way it works. They have no incentive to settle quickly because it negatively impacts their bottom line. Sad, but true. Just remember, the attorney works for you, not the other way around.

L
Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LTD, very true!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too am working hard at preserving my integrity thru this whole ending of my marriage. It isn't easy but I am determined to do it. I ahve to live with myself and what I do for the rest of my life. So far no attorney is involved but if it gets to that point, the attorney is going to have to operate within the lines I set. That's jsut the way its got to be for me.