from the mouths of babes

Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

from the mouths of babes

I just had to tell you about my son. Most of you know of my story, my Abrother and my nephew. I'm going to assume you know it anyway, sorry.

Was just talking to my eldest son about my nephew, he's staying with my parents tonight (he asked to because it was too bad at home) and my son said he didnt seem himself and was a bit down. I said I just wish we (we being me and my two sons) could do more for him. My eldest son said 'mum you do more for him than anyone, he loves you, when the time comes you'll know what to do and he'll come to you'

I filled up, I'm not a crying kind of woman, but to hear my son say that and to realise I was the one who brought him up since he was 5 years old sort of reaffirmed that I can do this, I can stay detached, and still love my brother, I can stay detached and still have a good relationship with my nephew, I can stay detached and still bring my own kids up with decent values and I can stay detached and stay sane. But most of all to realise my 13 year old son seems to understand what I'm doing, was amazing. It's not something we've ever discussed specifically, we've touched on it but at what I thought was appropriate for his age, seems I was wrong, he gets it and he's ok with it.

I'm rambling, I just needed to share.
thanks for reading.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are raising a wonderful, loving son, Lucy. Great job, mama!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceteach View Post
It sounds like you are raising a wonderful, loving son, Lucy. Great job, mama!

sometimes I think I'm just going through the motions raising my kids, doing nothing special, but I was so proud of him when he said that, and not just a little humble. He showed me when to let go, he knew theres nothing else I can do but he obviously trusts something higher than him or me.

I'm willing to learn from my kids.