Its his recovery I have to remind myself

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its his recovery I have to remind myself

Just wanting to share today to process things as I prepare for the weekend. RAH went for an annual physical and during the visit his doctor asked how he was feeling...and RAH talked about his major moodiness and bouts of anger irritability and depression. So the dr prescribed seroquel to replace the low dose of clonopin, and warned that it may take a bit of time to adjust. I was relieved to find out about this potential new solution to address his emotional issues.

He gives it about two and half days on this new med and says its making him feel weird and calls the dr and gets off of it. I understand that finding the right meds is challenging and can take a while, but I am disappointed and frustrated that a potential new soution has not worked. (Personally I feel he didnt give it enough time). And I am particularly bummed becaaus RAH isnt actively working a program of recovery. That is, when he finds himself in a bad place it all goes bad and it takes a while for him to get out of it.

The positive thing for me however, is that I now have a "plan" for myself! When he shifts into his bad state I either 1) leave the house and take a walk or 2) call a friend or family member just to chat, or both. And RAH is left to deal with himself. I no longer stay in it with him, trying to console him, or give him a laundry list of what he could or should do to make himself feel better. One day he may take some steps to help himself...in the meantime I am going to stay out of the way and take care of myself, and pray that he finds his own way.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

The positive thing for me however, is that I now have a "plan" for myself!
You go girl!!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Man oh man, can I identify with the "medication quest"!

I'm in pharmacy school, and it was SO difficult to keep my fingers out of AH's business when it came to drug therapy. I'd switch right into counseling mode, and, without fail, he'd do exactly the opposite of my best clinical judgment.

Good for you for taking care of yourself and letting him attend to his own affairs!

It's not an easy thing to do.

-TC
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

He gives it about two and half days on this new med and says its making him feel weird
Well Jehn, I can identify with that statement very well. I was 9 years sober when my bouts of depression intermixed with a few bouts of manic behavior finally got me to a psych Dr. I went through MANY MEDICATIONS until we found one that worked for me, and yes there were some that I could tell within 24 hours that they were making me feel and act WEIRD.

Each of us is different, so what works on one person may not work on another, thankfully there are even more meds out there now than there were in 1990.

I was diagnosed as being Bipolar 1. All that means is that I chronic depression with 'episodes' of manic behavior. Bipolar 2 is chronic manic with 'episodes' of depression.

I am glad to see that:

I now have a "plan" for myself!.............in the meantime I am going to stay out of the way and take care of myself, and pray that he finds his own way.
That is program in action!!!! Keep up the good work.

J M H O

Love and hugs