this is what I keep reading but I can't grasp it...

Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

There are so many fabulous replies in this thread, but particularly because of abcdefg's words of wisdom, I nominate this thread for a sticky.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by triciafawn View Post
quoting anvillhead's response to another thread:

you don't miss HIM, per se, you MISS the GOOD TIMES. THE PAST. THE MEMORIES. it's the same thing addicts run into, the euphoric sense of recall when it was all good..........completely excluding all the crap and drama and heartache that went with it. for me as an addict when i get hit with thoughts i have to PLAY THE TAPE ALL THE WAY THRU TO THE END, to the icky bad stuff part. there is a REASON why he is NOT in your life right now. cuz of the icky bad stuff. cuz it didn't work out. cuz of that nasty @ss thing known as addiction. the man you want to call does not exist........he's a ghost, he's gone, like last friday's dinner - done, digested, and removed.
WOW!
This is an amazing realization. I saw that saying "play the tape all the way through to the end somewhere- maybe here- but didn't get it. Now I do! The place where I've been stuck is in that long past time of the good memories. Playing the tape to the end. . . what a great way to look at it. Thanks. . . and I agree this place is as valuable as the thousands of dollars I've spent on counseling.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

I remember a long time ago someone I beleive in Al Anon had told me--Play the tape all the way thru. Meaning, don't stop only at the beginning when things were great; and don't stop in the middle were maybe things were good, maybe a little bit of mixed feelings, but still good. But yes, play it all the way thru to the END! That is the key--what was the end result from start to finish. The end is where I don't want to be today.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
There are so many fabulous replies in this thread, but particularly because of abcdefg's words of wisdom, I nominate this thread for a sticky.
wow, thank you. i'm humbled by your comment.