The Week-Long SR Challenge is Up...

Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

The Week-Long SR Challenge is Up...

So how'd you do? Was it easier or more difficult than you thought it would be to keep the focus on yourself and avoid discussing the alcoholic in your life? Did you enjoy the threads that focused only on us, the things we enjoy, and all the good things happening in our lives?

I really enjoyed getting to know everyone better. I loved the swapping of information, sharing of ideas, and especially finding that we share mutual interests and a common bond that has nothing to do with drinking whatsoever.

I did found it a bit challenging at times to reply to other folks' threads without mentioning the alcoholic in my life, especially threads posted by newbies, but I was determined to stick it out and keep the focus on me. The challenge helped me stay aware of how easy it is to get off track and lose my focus and fall into old behaviors. Perhaps I'll up the ante with myself and make it a month-long challenge.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the challenge. I plan on starting a "Things I Love" thread tonight. Just need to install my scanner software so I can scan some of my artwork and share it with you all.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I truly enjoyed reading about people and their interests; made everyone seem far more real to me. Being able to read about somebody without the A being part of the equation, gave me appreciation of the fact that people are more than the problems and challenges they face with the A.

Oh no ... another "scanner project." I had two people working on the photos of my cats just so I could get them posted here normally sized. Sigh.

There were a few times I felt mentioning the A in my life was relevant to my response; however, I had no burning desire to discuss him. Actually, I have no desire (burning or otherwise) to look at him, discuss my life with him, discuss his life with him, or even discuss the weather with him. Not speaking to him is not motivated by malice; I am just not interested.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, I think it worked out well. I discussed him in response to threads, but very minimally. I spent much of the week trying hard not to have meltdowns around him. I took a big step (for me) when I replied to one of his emails by not getting into his business, right down to saying that I hoped he found peace in his choices, but his choices have no bearing on how I will live my life...FOR ME!!!

Thanks again FD for helping me (and the rest of us) keep the focus where it should forever be, on us and all the good in our own lives!!!

(((FD)))
Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I only started today, so I'll carry on and let you know!

Lily xxxxxxxxxx
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I failed. But I'm going to start with lily.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Not sure If I passed or not! LOL ....I think I kept my fingers limited for the most part!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Survivor

I think it was really nice reading about everyone.

It wasn't really a challenge for me. I don't really think about all of the As in my life because they are family members. It is easy for me to no talk about them and their addiction because I don't live with them or see them everyday. I went to visit them the other day and it was fine.

I still need to focus on me and work on me though. I have still have a loooong ways to go.