Anybody have non traditional colors on their walls?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

Anybody have non traditional colors on their walls?

I am thinking about painting my bedroom. Right now, it is paneling at the bottom (which I will leave there), and beige at the top, as well as the rest of the house. Everything in the house is either beige or white.

I would like to paint over the beige, and thought of doing like a maroon color, but am afraid of change, number one, and number two wonder if that would be too dark. I do not have a decorating theme yet, and probably am the worst decorator.

Does anyone use non traditional colors? Does it darken the room a lot? Also, aren't different colors supposed to bring out different moods?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did in my house. My bedroom had one wall in a bright red and the others in mocha with the wood work black. It was great. The family room was a nice Wedgewood blue. The hallways a soothing light gray. The kitchen had melon walls and the cabinets were an off white.

I love using color in my home. But for now the walls in may apartment are all off white. Boring! But until I decide how long I'm going to be here, I'm not willing to paint since when I move out I'd have to repaint it the off white.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my parents have a maroon room (try saying that 5 times really fast!) in their house and it looks beautiful. as long as there are windows, i can't imagine it being too dark. my bedroom right now is lavender and i love it because it makes me feel so calm, the only down side is that it's pretty bright in there when the sun comes up.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was born without the decorating gene. I'm very creative but just didn't have that particular gene ;-) When we built our house I had the builder paint all of the interior walls light grey. Really.

A few years ago I was tired of grey (I live in Washington State.....you think I would have gotten tired of grey a loooooong time ago!) I decided that paint is inexpensive and if I hate the color I paint it, I can paint it again. My house is now very colorful. Greens and golds. I love it and am now addicted to painting!

You GO! It's such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment to stand back and see how pretty it is after a fresh coat of paint!

good luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm with Kindeyes on this one, paint is relatively cheap and can always be changed.

I love color. There's only one white room in my house and that's just because I haven't gottern around to painting it yet.

The master is a faux marble style in beige with streaks of red (looks better than it sounds), the guest rooms are mushroom (also looks better than it sounds) and slate gray. We have a burnt sienna entry way, brown family room, sage green living room and maroon kitchen. I love it!

When I painted the bathroom, I actually painted it three times before finding just exactly the right tone on tone. I just try to remember that nothing is forever and if I don't like it, I can change it (works for things other than painting too )
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My whole house is a tribute to my favorite place- Mexico. Golds, blues, green, terra cotta. I highly recommend color- especially if you live in the midwest like I do. By now it's becoming unbearable. I need blue sky, flowering trees. . .
Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I vote for fearless living and fearless decorating. Life is too short to live it in a neutral palette. Who cares what the neighbors think? Live your life as you choose!

For those folks who love lots of color, I recommend Susan Sargent's books:

"Colorscapes"
"The Comfort of Color"
"New Country Color"

Now that woman is fearless and absolutely FIERCE!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

my landlord who used to live in my apartment and is a contractor painted the walls navy blue on some and brown with a sponge on others
the trim is white
ugh !
Old 04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I came home from work one day to find my living room a plum colour!!!!!. My daughter was sick and tierd of cream and white so decided to paint it herself (budding artist). I would never have chosen that colour but im glad she did cause i love it.

She has now commented that my clothes are boring, and i need different colours instead of black and browns, and has said that she'll go clothes shopping for me next. Um nah dont think so.

Mair xx
Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Some colors can bring out moods in some people.
If you look in most classrooms you find they have soft pale colors of greens or beige. A relaxing color.
If you take a white or a beige and add just a suttle hint of pink to it (so small you don't really notice it), it will bring out a warm soft feeling in most people.
Ahhh this is home kind of feeling. Add a lot more pink and you can get some people seeing red in their attitude.
For a bedroom you would want soft colors to help you sleep.
For a living room... splash it up if you like..A solid Maroon wall contrasted with 3 walls of a different color but a complementing color to the maroon. Make the room match the name...Living Room.
A kitchen...Bright colors that wake you up in the morning and get your day started.... Not so bright that it chases people away that come into your house via the back door.8
Old 04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Black ceilings with stars on them and beaded curtains in the doorways...
Well lets just say it looked good for a week *LOL*
Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

This makes sense. So much for maroon....lol.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

That's Best's interpretation of what a bedroom should be. It's not mine or yours. There are no right or wrong color choices. What matters is that you like it. You like maroon, so run with it! It's only paint.

By the way, black walls can be very elegant. Downright exquisite, as Candice Olsen of Devine Design proves:

My Notting Hill: Candice Olson Live in DC- Funny & Brilliant
Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This vs This
A high gloss maroon vs a flat.
Elegance in taste vs conservative.
Home style and seasonal needs.
Sleeping habits. 3rd shift workers sleep in the day. A darker room color could be more relaxing.
Yes what works for you is based on your wants and needs. Just giving some feedback I have learned over a few years.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I once got bold when I bought my first house. I decided to start in one of the bathrooms, I don't know why. Anyway, when I was doing hair, a client of mine said she did custom painting, so I hired her. The picture she showed me looked like a wall of crushed red velvet. It was beautiful. When she got done, I was mortified. But, I was in college at the time and working full time so I didn't have time to fix it and didn't want her to do anymore damage, so I left it until I put the house on the market.

When the realtor came in to see the house and list it, she went into the master bath and said with a shocked face "Oh God. You have to paint over this. It looks like someone got murdered in here and you will never sell the house this way." I painted it white. My apartment is more multi-color though and I love it. Of course, I did it myself : )
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I once painted my kitchen in indigo and sexy pink (really bright fuschia pink) I loved it at the time, but looking back now I think I'd call it 'brave' :rof

I'm a bit more subtle these days.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think Barbara42 made a good point, try a feature wall 1st, colour and light at the same time. If you love it and it doesn't make the room too dark do the rest.

When I moved into my house the living room was a orange/terracotta colour, I wasn't keen but didn't realise how angry it made me till I was painting it out. Size of room matters too, I live in a 350 year old cottage which sounds cute but the rooms are tiny, dark and bright colours are sometimes a bit much in small rooms.

My sons room was painted dark green, I needed to lighten it up before the poor little soul needed prozac:-)

Because my rooms are tiny the walls are white but colour is added with soft furnishings.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best View Post
Not me! That fire engine red wall looked fabulous! Overall the room had a nice wamr cozy feeling to me.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Paint colors......now this is something I can talk about confidently!!

I too love the maroon.....so....my entire kitchen is a deep, dark maroon (robust red is the actual name), as is one wall in my family room, and an accent wall in my bedroom. The accompanying color is Safari Tan. A bit of asian, tropical influence. Love, love, love it! Through in some pictures of a beautiful Buddhist temple, an photos taken in Hawaii, and you have pure relaxation.

BTW, my bedroom used to be white. Boring....Now that I have that beautiful maroon color, it feels so warm and soothing to me...really!!!!

I also have variations of green and yellow in my home. And the kids rooms...well....I have a dark blue room, and a lively lavender room (boy & a girl)!

Life is good, and I love color!!!

Shivaya