He's still so controlling, am I doing the right thing?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

He's still so controlling, am I doing the right thing?

Well I posted last week about going to see my abf Chris in jail only to meet resistance from his mom. I wrote him a letter last week saying that I feel it would be best for me not to visit until his mom has come to terms with the fact that we are going to be together, 1) so that we can coordinate visits and I don't waste a trip/arrange for my son to be watched for nothing and 2) because I don't think it does my recovery any good to have her being rude to me.

Well I received a letter from him in response to mine, needless to say he wasn't very happy about that. I could tell that he was hurt, but I swear all he heard was that I wouldn't come and visit, it's like he blocked the rest of the 2 page letter out of his mind. And he said that his mom works during the day so that if I visit at lunchtime I will be able to get right in and she won't be there. So I agreed, and went to see him yesterday.

Well yesterday at work a friend of mine (probably the most Christian friend that I have) invited me to go bowling in celebration of her birthday Saturday night. It is at a bowling alley where there is a bar, and it will be from 10:00 to 1:00 in the morning. They call it the "glow-bowl", they turn on the blacklights and play music, a good time. There will be other people going (of course) but I don't know who, but I do know her husband is going. Therefore, I assume other couples, too.

So the visit starts out ok, except Chris asked what my plans for the weekend are. So I tell him about the bowling. He says that if I go bowling not to plan on coming to visit him, not in so many words, but threatening me that if I go he is done with me. So I tell him that I am going by myself, and that I won't be drinking and won't even go to the bar part (and I meant it) and of all my friends he should feel really good about me going with her, etc. So I told him that I'm going, and that I was sorry he didn't have faith or trust in me but that I love him and am trying to be a woman of God it hurts me that he can't see that and believe in me.

I mean I can understand where he is coming from, because I can be jealous/insecure, too. But I have totally reassured him in every way possible that I am here for him, and last summer when he was at the probation center I passed up a weekend rafting trip with a really good friend of mine because he didn't want me to go. Then when he got out he drank anyway and took off on me all the time, for days at a time. I promised not to go the bar the entire time he was in there, only to have him get out and go to the bar.

If I thought that me not going would change the outcome in anyway, as far as us working out or him staying sober, I wouldn't go. But I know that it won't, and if I don't go, it will be something else that I can't do or am doing wrong.

Of course the codependent part of me is fearing that if I go, he will reject me (silly, I know), but the part of me that is recovering knows that I need to go and have a good time with friends.

It kind of feels like he is slipping as far as recovery. His whole attitude yesterday wasn't like it has been as far as recovery, he was grouchy and negative. I know that there is nothing I can do to change that...is there anything I can do differently to support him better? Anything I can say differently?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SOconfused:

You are so on the right track. Good for you girl!! He is in jail suffering the consequences of some illegal behavior and he is challenging you for wanting to live your life? You should follow through with your plans and go bowling. Yes, you can feel fear but deep down you know what is right. Oftentimes the difficult or painful situations are where we grow the most. Consider this a valuable growth opportunity for you.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

is there anything I can do differently to support him better? Anything I can say differently?

His moods are not up to you. You will wear yourself out trying to make another person happy. Try not to carry the burden of needing to take care of his feelings. Perhaps it is approproiate that he actually feel cruddy for a while. That's when he might look at himself some.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What are you getting out of this relationship again?

L
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by Soconfused11 View Post
...is there anything I can do differently to support him better? Anything I can say differently?
Your whole post, all though aware that you need to concentrate on your recovery was centred around him. It sounds to me that as a christian you are trying to forgive him of any past wrongs and support him on his journey in spiritual growth which I commend. I was raised a Roman Catholic, I understand the principle of forgiveness. I remember the parable of the prodigal son,

“The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.''

In the sacrement of forgiveness I believe it says that the first part of forgiveness is for one to admit for doing wrong and to seek forgiveness, as in this parable. has your A looked for forgiveness in you? Do you believe he is repentant of his wrong doings?

I do not mean to question your beliefs, only to question your focus, which seems to be on him, and his feelings, and less on your own.

Blessings
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What you can do differently is worry about YOURSELF. He is in jail as a result of his own actions. Why should you put YOUR life on hold?

He can't leave you while he is in jail because he's already gone. And if you aren't an alcoholic, why not have a drink if you want?

My xabf tried to tell me he would not stop drinking unless I vowed never to have a drink again (I drink MAYBE a glass of wine a month). I told him no. I would not drink around him, but I would not stop living my life FOR him either.

Think of yourself here. Let this A think about why he is there and what he should do to control HIS OWN life.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What are you getting out of this relationship again?
Chris really is my best friend, he is affectionate, warm, hard working, has a big heart. He is a good listener. When Chris and I work together not only on ourselves but on the relationship, we really bring out the best in each other.

Of course, his addiction tends to get in the way of all of that, as well as my addiction to him.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your best friend would not force you to cut people out of your life, or force you to live by his rules.

My best friend is honest, caring, considerate, and wants me to live life to the fullest. You have an alcoholic enemy, not a best friend.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

He is trying to manipulate and yes control you. That doesn't sound like a healthy relationship to me. Like LTD said, what are you getting out of this relationship with this man?

He is in jail for abusing you, and yet you visit him in jail? For what? So he can continue controling and manipulating your life through a glass window?

He will only see what he wants to see within the letter you wrote him. He is still an active alcoholic and nothing has changed with him at all.

The cycle with continue to repeat itself unless something changes. Maybe this will begin with you focusing on yourself.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chris really is my best friend, he is affectionate, warm, hard working, has a big heart. He is a good listener. When Chris and I work together not only on ourselves but on the relationship, we really bring out the best in each other.
You love the man you wish he would be not the reality. I know that is hard to recognize and accept but that is truth. You are in love with the possibilities and the former characteristics of this man. WHat describes him right now is an abuser, a user and a man in jail tryin gto manipulate you.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So controlling

You cannot live your life for someone else. No one should be controlling your life except you. He's probably angry because he's locked up and you're not. The last thing is: I don't think he'd be any great loss. So go bowling!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

has your A looked for forgiveness in you? Do you believe he is repentant of his wrong doings?
Up until yesterday, I saw a real change in Chris, and he was taking full responsbility for himself and was sorry for the things that he has done in the past, and yes he has asked me to forgive him. I am hoping that yesterday was just a bad day for him, and that he does decided to get back on the recovery wagon, but I know that I can't let myself stop moving forward.

And I do realize that I am focusing a lot of him right now, which I think is the reason for my post...maybe to shift my focus and bring me back to reality again.

However, I know that I have made progress, because almost a year ago at this time, I would just not go to please him. This time, I am going despite the fact that he may reject me or be angry with me. I am still going.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

p.s.

and i'm looking forward to it!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Up until yesterday, I saw a real change in Chris,
If it was a real change, it would not disappear because of "a bad day." What you saw as change, I believe was him telling you what you want to hear. I wouldn't be so eager to believe his words. His actions are much more telling.

Example: he says he's changed and found God, etc, etc, etc. Yet, his actions are to manipulate and control you--even from behind bars.

You can choose to believe his words if you want, but you will continue to get what you've always gotten. Nothing changes if nothing changes. If you want "this time" to actually be different, do something different.

Have fun bowling.

L
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Of course, his addiction tends to get in the way of all of that, as well as my addiction to him.
This comment does not match anything you related in the begininng of this thread. A person with these characteristics would not throw a fit over a letter or you going to a party. Please think about it.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for some very powerful (and to most, probably very obvious) responses. I got a good giggle out of a few of them, because of the way they were worded it it all seemed so ridiculous, then I realized it's no laughing matter because it really is ridiculous.

But it really has put me at a lot better mindset for today, and I am very thankful.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

but the part of me that is recovering knows that I need to go and have a good time with friends.
Recovery is all or nothing, not a part of me. It's the same for the addict. It's like saying, part of me is recovering - I didn't drink TODAY.

I love to bowl. I'd go and have a good time.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

:wtf2

Some jerk in jail is telling you not to go bowling.....and you're actually considering this as a legitimate feeling? I beg you to dump this loser and love yourself. Please. Whatever it takes. Work on you.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Recovery is all or nothing, not a part of me. It's the same for the addict. It's like saying, part of me is recovering - I didn't drink TODAY.
Well I guess I don't consider myself "recovered", but a work in progress. I guess I feel like I'm transitioning and growing, but for me to say I have no codependent tendencies is a lie....but yet to say I haven't grown at all, well that isn't true either.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

my point is, his decisions, his actions, the choices HE made on how to conduct HIS life landed him in JAIL. instead of showing any humility for screwing up, instead of displaying ANY gratitude that you did come to visit him, that you are still willing to be a part of his life, he continues to try and control and manipulate your every move.
Well now I'm just boiling mad. Mad enough for the both of us, SoConfused. That dirty rat. Why aren't you mad? What kind of treatment have you received in life that makes the picture that Anvil painted above seem acceptable? That makes you refer to a person like this as your best friend?