OT: TA-DA: Presenting MY Cats!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: TA-DA: Presenting MY Cats!

I would love to post about myself. However (and this is a BIG however ...) I have made attempts to post a photo of my two purebred Cornish Rex cats and thus far have failed in my attempts.

If anyone can tell me, clearly and concisely, how to place a photo in my post, I would be most appreciative.

Please remember I am 10 years older than dirt, half-blind, and my brain is somewhat fried.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there Prodi, remember I took a pic of one of 'em a couple years ago? See if this is what you want

Mike
Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bless you, Mikey! I don't remember you taking that photo ... That is my "number one son." I also have a few other pics I will try to post. Laurie just gave me a crash course on how to use photobucket. I shall attempt to post a pic or two of "my boys."

Thanks Mike -
Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I upload pictures that I may want to post here or elsewhere to

photobucket.com

Then I have the URL I need to copy and paste it here, using the little 'yellow' box with the mountain on it.

Works great and it's easy!

Real easy, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, laurie. I needed a little reinforcement although I took notes on how to download while you were telling me. I can always rely on my F&F family to help me out - you guys are the BEST!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

What a beautiful cat, Prodie. Can't wait to see more photos.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here's the pics (I Hope) that Prod wanted to post:

and

Now hopefully that worked, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 03-29-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ooops forgot this one, lol

Prod wanted it resized a bit, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 03-30-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

By Prodie's request, I changed the name of this thread

Mike
Old 03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is a Cornish Rex cat similar to a Cornish Rex rabbit (also known as velveteen rabbits)? By that I mean do they have a seriously soft coat? If my memory serves me correctly, that means they lack the longer, coarser guard hairs.

Your two boys are beautiful. Whatever happened to the cat you rescued from your roof?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are correct, FD!!

My cats have no guard hairs, thus they are heat-seaking missles and love to live in my garage during the summer when the temp in there reaches around 140. Also, they have velvety-smooth coats with a slight marcel wave.

The Cornish Rex was a spontaneously-occurring mutation that showed up in a litter of barn kittens in Cornwall, England in July 1950. The wavy-coated kitten was a male known as "Kalibunker." He was bred back to his mother and that was the start of the breed. In 1957, the breed was introduced to the U.S. Our C-Rexies are slightly different than the British version because U.S. breeders introduced the Siamese to the strain to make it sturdier.

They are extraordinarily intelligent cats and quite vocal, having a number of different meows that sometimes sound like words. Boo-Boo says "NO" quite clearly. (Bear is the fella in my back pack.)

CAT ON ROOF UPDATE: I still have the cat I found on the roof of my house in November. She is an American Bobtail with huge blue eyes and extremely long whiskers. Her name is "Miss Mew." She definitely sheds and that has been an adjustment. My Rexies shedding is so minimal that I don't notice it. Now I'm back to vacuuming my furniture. I will never know how she ended up on the roof. I will never understand how such a sweet-natured cat was just lost (or dumped) by somebody. Oh well, the more the merrier!

The cats are a part of my story. When I was in the dumps over the breakup with my exAH, I started going to cat shows. I entered Boo in a show and he did well. Rexies are hams and he loved struttin' his stuff for the judge. I also leash-trained Boo to take him on walks.

So now I have the two boys and my stray "princess." What can I say? I'm going to be the weird old lady on the block with all the cats ....
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Awwwww!! They're so cute! I've never seen a Cornish Rex; I like the way they look..Thanks for posting those...I love the lil furbabies
Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ooo they're lovely cats, look at the size of their ears!
I'm gonna be the same and I'm thoroughly looking forward to being the old weird lady with lots of cats!

Here's my babies

Matty

Jelli (is Matty's Mum)

And the both of them together

Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Prodigal
I had a Cornish Rex that I cherished for 13 years (she passed away about 3 years ago). She was a strange little girlie. I got her at a cat show when she was just a few weeks old. Her fur was very light and she had just a bit of the wavey fur but she lost it ALL when she was spayed a few months later. The vet wasn't able to explain why that happened--it never grew back. She was essentially a totally bald, tortise skinned baby. She lived her entire life in my lap or under my covers (at night) cuddled up close to me. She was soft as velvet and so warm. Her vocals were a series of chirps and chatters. I had to bathe her frequently because she had no fur to absorb the oil her skin produced. She was like a little baby to me. I miss her terribly.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your cornish rex cats. They are so beautiful.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

kindeyes - The gal who bred Boo told me her females frequently went bald after delivering a litter. Some get their fur back, some don't. The "baldy" version of Rex looks like the Sphinx breed, which are bald. (Remember "Mr. Bigglesworth" from the Austen Power's films? He was a Sphinx.)

The Missus - Beautiful markings on your cats!!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Prodigal
My Gizzy did look very much like a Sphinx. And funny that you mention Mr. Bigglesworth, my kids use to call Gizzy "Mrs. Bigglesworth". Interesting that the females went bald after delivering a litter. Perhaps it's connected to hormonal fluctuations or something (since Gizzy's baldness was associated with being spayed).

The pictures of your kitties made me smile and brought back warm and loving memories of my little girl.

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A friend of mine raises Abysinians (not sure I spelled that correctly). They are very vocal and intelligent, like your boys. She found that they enjoyed--and excelled--in cat agility. I never heard of cat agility competitions until recently. Anyone else ever tried or heard of this?