OT-input needed.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

OT-input needed.

So I have been house hunting since last week. I found this duplex on Craigslist and called about it. I asked all the regular questions etc. and at the end of the conversation I asked her the physical address of the duplex, as it only shows the cross streets. I wanted to drive by to see the outside before I proceeded to go any further.

The women that I called got kinda weird on me and said she wouldn't give me the address until I called her at 5:00 and was on my way. I found that sorta odd. I thought maybe it had to due with her husband possibly having a warrant out, or maybe they are trying to avoid repossesion of something..I dunno..But I have never ran into this before, and I started to think that for my own safety I'd like to know exactly where I will be in case something weird happened. With all the odd things that happen in the news these days you have to wonder. Am I being paranoid?

So anyway any advice would be appreciated, as this place is in my budget. How do I tell her up front I don't feel comfortable not knowing the address? Do I tell her I find it odd? I'm so not good with being assertive (something I'm working on in counseling)

Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I agree with you Lexus, it's very odd! This person wants to let or sell her home and yet she will only tell you when your on your way?! Odd. I see no problems with telling her you are uncomfortable. Either way, letting or buying, you are going to be exchanging monies with this person and I wouldn't want to do that with someone i felt was not being open with me from the beginning. Tell her how you feel and then judge what to do by her reaction, if it is something simple, she'll explain, if it's deeper, I think your guts will tell you!

Lily xxxxxxxxx
Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a realtor. We are DESPERATE to sell properties in this market and wouldnt hesitate to give all info on a listing.

There is a reason she is being evasive....and not a good one. Run...dont walk....away from it. Red flags are waving. Get yourself a good realtor to find you a place.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone..

I'm not looking for a home to buy, just rent, shes not a realtor, just the landlord that is currently living in the duplex.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks anvil
Old 03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Maybe the landlord was just being precautious herself.
I had an apt. to rent recently and I showed it by appt. only.
Can you make an appt. to see duplex?
good luck in your search
Old 03-25-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

P.S. It would be advisable to take someone with you when you see places.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wouldn't go. Move on and find some place that's not covert. I have to admit my landlord was a bit strange when I moved in, but not so strange that he wouldn't give me information.

Be safe!!!
:ghug3:praying