I wonder how many boats I've missed?

Old 03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wonder how many boats I've missed?

I'm sure many of you have heard this one. I think it has a great message.

A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. Another man comes by in a boat and says, "Get in, get in!" The religous man replies, "No, I have faith in God, and He will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist, and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in. The religious man declines again saying that he has faith in God, and God will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat floats by, but he does not swim to it, because "God will grant me a miracle."

With the water at chin level, a helicopter flies by and throws down a ladder. Mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the offer of help for the faith of God. He drowns. When he arrives at the gates of Heaven with broken faith, he says to God, "All my life I have followed your word and believed in your promise that you would never desert me. But you left me to drown. What happened to that promise... where were you when I needed you?" God looked down at the man and said, "I sent you three boats and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

I used to think that my prayers would be answered in obvious, very clear ways. When the answers did not come, I felt as if my HP was not listening to me. I later learned that the answers to my prayers were often very subtle. They were there all along... I just wasn't listening to Him.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post, hope. God only knows - and I mean that literally! - how many boats I've missed because I've been too busy moaning and groaning at the top of my lungs instead of listening for him! One thing about God: he doesn't force himself on people and he doesn't yell directions at us.

I believe that God does not answer my prayers in the way I want them answered because my thinking is confined to being inside-the-box by virtue of my finite nature. Who am I to confine an infinite being to my ideas of how my problems and issues should be solved?

Your post is great food for thought.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

its not the ones Ive missed but now its the ones I CAN CATCH !
Old 03-01-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

How many boats do you think I missed in the 25 years I spent with my alcoholic partner? Must be hundreds. Turns out, I didn't make my escape in a boat, I made it by car on my 45th birthday when I dropped him off at a local, told him I was done, and drove away.

My salvation came in the form of taking action instead of continuing to wait for someone else to change. It also came in the form of an electric blue Toyota RAV4.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am having such a bad time lately... I'm sorry God I missed the boat....I'm swimming to you...
Old 03-01-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Doesn't matter how many I missed. The important thing is I got on one and am now sailing up stream to a better life.