I'm new

Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To Tennis 71....Your comments help alot. What triggered you to get help for your addiction?

Last edited by underwood; 03-01-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: address
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking. It is funny that you should ask, in the AA meeting I attended tonight we read the beginning of Bill W's story. We got to a part just prior to him wrapping up his drinking career and founding AA. In this part of his story he finally admits to himself that "Alcohol was his master". He came to this conclusion after many failed attempts to quit and his life had become virtually unmanageable.

I had attended sporadic meetings in Seattle and nearby areas at the prompting of wife and immediate family but was never there for my own recovery. I was unable to admit that I was powerless over alcohol. I kept drinking and eventually I was on the verge of divorce, I totaled my car, I was broke and jobless. I drank non stop for 3 weeks after the accident and had to be driven to my parents house over thanksgiving.

I was a complete mess but during the ride to my parents I was able to reflect upon how I had gotten to that point. It was that day that I admitted to my self that I was powerless over alcohol and could not manage my own life. I enrolled in treatment after a few days of severe withdrawals and started attending AA's on a daily basis. This time however I really took in what people were saying because I was newly attracted to the sober lifestyle that the members had.

I hope that answers your question. I guess in short, I got an overwhelming feeling in my gut that I was finally sick of the way I was living, and I would do anything to change.

Have a great evening (or morning depending on when you read this) and keep coming back for you.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm new

Hello, and Welcome!

I too am new here like you, but am so happy as to the kindness of people here. You can be assured that you'll receive the answers you're seeking, and as I too have been encouraged, I seek to encourage you.

My husband was an alcoholic for a little over 20 yrs. although I posted here about our son instead. In my husband's case, he chose (by the grace of God) to stop drinking, so...there is hope for you and for your husband. My husband has been free for a long time now. I personally turned to prayer and persevered with it. I don't know what will work for you, but this did work for me. I'll be here to help you through just by posting for now. As far as coping, the Serenity Prayer is what helped get me through. Here what it says, and it helps one through those very intense and scary moments!

"God, grant me the serenity (peace) to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference."

Sometimes, with teeth clenched, and my hands in a fist punching my mattress/pillow quietly, this is how I coped. Other times, I found places to go with my female friends, and just hang out if they were not occupied with other things. I'll be praying for you and for your situation. I hope this post helps some for you.

Blessings and Hugs,
MssDgtr7
:praying