Addiction: An Analogy

Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by minnelson6200 View Post
The analogy I have is a story of a man who fell off a cliff. On his way down, he caught hold of a small branch growing out of the side of cliff. Holding on for dear life he yelled "Help! Is anyone there?".

God answered, "I'm here". The man said "Oh thank you. Please help me." God said "Do you have faith?" The man replied "yes I do. I have faith that you can get me out of this."

God said "then let go". As the joke goes, the man replied "Is there anyone else up there?"

I thought I had the faith but it's really hard to just let go.
Have you all watched Finding Nemo? I'm sure you have, I have watched it over and over with my daughter. This reminds me of the scene where Dory and Marlin (Nemo's dad) are inside the whales mouth. The water starts to drain from the mouth of the whale. Dory translates the whale as saying the should go to the back of the mouth the conversation between the two fish goes:

D- he says we should go to the back of the mouth,
M- Of course he'd say that, thats eating us!!!
The whale flips his toungue and the two fish are hanging on to his tongue right by his throat...
D- he says to let go! Trust me, it'll be ok!
M- how do you know?! How do you know something bad isn't about to happen?!
D- I don't!

They both let go, and the whale blows them out with water through his breathing hole.

Marlin was so caught up in his fears of what may happen next he couldn't trust ''the bigger picture'' ie the whale, he thought the worst would happen. He learnt afterward that the whale was actually helping to free them.

Funny how cartoons have deep messages sometimes if we look for them.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

Wow--these are all very helpful and inspiring. I've sent the original one on to my mom since she is really struggling with what's happening with my sister. Thank you all!