Humility 3rd Meditation

Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Post Humility 3rd Meditation

hu·mil·i·ty –noun the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own
importance, rank, etc.---dictionary.com

"Humility is the defining characteristic of an unpretentious and modest person, someone who does not think that he or she is better or more important than others.

The term "humility" is derived from the Latin word "humilis", which is translated not only as humble but also alternatively as "low", or "from the earth".[1] Because the concept of humility addresses intrinsic self-worth, it is emphasized in the realm of religious practice and ethics where the notion is often made more precise and extensive. Humility as a religious or spiritual virtue is different from the act of humiliation or shaming."---wikipedia

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-humility.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ility-2-a.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

52 Weeks of Conscious Contact by Melody Beattie

HUMILITY (3rd in a series of 7)

God's Will can happen so naturally, beautifully, and power-fully that we forget that our successes and satisfactions are God's doings, not our own.

Challenge: The most challenging part about practicing humility isn't when we do it voluntarily. It's the times we forget to be humble, and its forced upon us. Think of it as a cirle with a line drawn down the middle. On one side of the circle is humility. On the other is pride. If we stay on the pride side, life will push and shove us into the humility side. If we work at staying on the humble side, we may be tempted to go visit pride. But if we do, we'll get pushed right back. There's a fine line between feeling good about ourselves and grateful for our lives, and crossing over into pride. It's worth it to do the work to stay on the humble side of that line. We may still have embarrassing moments, times of being shown our own weaknesses, times when we do what we've just judged someone else for doing. But if we're on the humble side, those things won't bother us nearly as much. We don't practice humility to avoid being humbled. Practicing humility is its own reward.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I like that 12step groups teach spiritual principles.

I recently had an experience with pride and humility...I let my pride get in the way of welcoming a newcomer...so I whipped out my recovery books and landed on these meditations. Through reading these meditations, I also learned that I wasn't treating my fellows as well as I wanted to be. I hope you enjoy these and feel free to comment as your comments help me process this principle.