Relationships with Recovering A's

Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relationships with Recovering A's

There have been some posts recently by the significant others of those in recovery. Some of us have concerns or impatience about how much time our A's devote to this new way of life. I am the first to admit that this is not always an easy life we lead. During the drinking days we lived without them and wished for their sobriety. Sobriety came, and we find that we still live without them. I, too, have struggled with this.

I attended an AA Chip Celebration meeting tonight. I was very moved by the remarks and testimonies of each person who spoke. But it was the comments of one young woman (three years sober) that helped me the most. She spoke about relationships and recovery. She said how AA and her recovery had to take priority over her relationship, because no human power could keep her sober.

This statement really helped me, and I hope it will help others. If you have an A who is currently working a program of recovery through AA, I strongly urge you to attend a Chip Celebration to hear these stories of success and hope. I'm so glad I did.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Attending any open AA meetings at all is very eye opening. That is where I first found hope. It is where I first witnessed success.

Hugs!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

An open aa meeting was my very first meeting! I went to alanon after that!

There is something so powerful about those recovering individuals gathered together and sharing their story. I was lucky enough to speak at one of my moms aa birthday parties/chip celebration!

Great thread!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JT View Post
Attending any open AA meetings at all is very eye opening. That is where I first found hope. It is where I first witnessed success.

Hugs!

AMEN
Old 02-25-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

She said how AA and her recovery had to take priority over her relationship
I learned in Alanon that I had to take priority in my life. When I continue to tolerate an emotionally immature and unavailable partner--whether in active alcoholism or early recovery--I'm still short changing myself. Today, I realize that I deserve an emotionally healthy and available partner.

I found the only way to be totally free from the affects of another's drinking on my life was to free myself from the alcohlic.

Today I am happy and healthy and I no longer accept less than I deserve.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thank you for this post, hope.

This past Saturday I received my 3 year chip at our clubs Birthday Night meeting. In attendance were my two children, my beautiful GF who works her own amazing programs of recovery, and over 150 regular members and visitors, most of them personal friends from the Fellowship. What an honor it was to have my sponsor present my chip, and my 10 year old daughter also presented me with a gift at the podium. What's even more amazing is that between presenters and recipients we had over 300 years of combined sobriety! To top my weekend off, I got a congratulatory hug last night from Anita. She has over 50 years of sobriety and worked for Bill W. at AA's Central Office many years ago. Now that was humbling for me!

Recovery is possible, what makes it so fulfilling is the support of our friends, family, and other 12 Step programs. It's a we program, we succeed because of you!