update on me!

Old 06-21-2003, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update on me!

Hi everyone,
I thought it was just my computer having problems, but am relieved to see it's not! Well, thought I'd give you an update that is actually a happy one

A couple of weeks ago, as you all know, my ah took a nose dive, missed 2 days of work and spent one day drinking himself into another world and had the nerve to show up at my work drunker then a skunk...I was FURIOUS...I am a teacher and we have some rules in place for kids protection (ie: getting a visitors pass and he knows that) anyhow, the next morning, I set some very strict boundaries and told him that if he was going to continue on this path, that's fine, but it'd be minus me in his life. His boss has been very accommodating to him as he's diagnosed as suffering with depression, which when he's on his meds he's fine, but when he's not, he isn't and then drinks and misses work. His boss told him to get his act together and that if he misses another day of work, he's done. So, he started taking his meds again and had enough to last him 2 weeks and he called the dr. all on his own (which is HUGE for him..he usually begs me to call or go with him) and went on his own and got his prescription refilled. He hasn't missed a dose yet and I swear, my husband is turning into a different man!! He who hates family things, has actually gone to a birthday party today and he's spending tons of time with our 4 year old...coloring, playing ball...you name it. And our son is loving every moment of it! He's even commented that he feels better then he has in a long time...amazing isn't it?? and you know what?? Not a drop of alcohol has been consumed and he has said..he has no desires to even drink at all!! WOW! I know he knows the possible side effects so that could be playing into but guess what?? I am not even worried about it...I am ENJOYING EVERY moment of my husband being back to the man I feel in love with!! The best part?? Our 7 year anniversary is next weekend and we're going away over night to the Ritz (his brother got us one heck of a deal there!) and this is just the perfect time right now. Of course, I am always aware that things can go downhill, but I am not going to worry about the what ifs or the tomorrows...I am living in the moment!

I hope everyone else has things going well for them! I pray for everyone every night!

Have a wonderful Saturday night and Sunday!
Old 06-21-2003, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great, Teach! Thanks for sharing the sunshine.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 06-21-2003, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Spedteach -

I was happy to read your post tonight. I'm pretty new to this site and to Alanon and reading what you said made me feel good. I'm happy that you are able to enjoy "the moment" without spending alot of time worrying about what might go wrong That has to be good for all of you. My husband just had a bad relapse and needed to be detoxed but he is doing well and trying to live one day at a time. We are going to the Senior Golf Tournament here in Grand Rapids tommorrow - first fun thing we have been able to do since he has been home and are really looking forward to relaxing and just enjoying ourselves. I think that each good day makes the next good day seem more possible. Have a great anniversary trip!

Jo
Old 06-22-2003, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jo-
Mine too has had relapses and I understand what you are saying completely! As for our anniversary trip, well, his brother was not able to get us a room at the Ritz as promised so, my hubby actually took it well and said we'd figure out something special to do that day..it's also his birthday, so we will be doubly celebrating!
Did you see that I'm from Mich too?? I'm between Flint and Brighton in a city called Fenton..ever hear of it? Well, have a good time at the golf tournament! We go to either the Buick Open (I've worked it before too!) or the Senior Open at the TPC in Dearborn every year...it's always one or the other! It should be nice and HOT for you tomorrow!
Old 06-22-2003, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

So glad to read that!!

Glad to know things are going well for you. Keep positive & enjoy!!

maryl
Old 06-22-2003, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Teach -

I do know where Fenton is. My dad lived in Brighton for years. Do you play golf or just like to watch? I've played since I was 10 years old - my dad was a club professional so I basically grew up on a golf course. Even though your plans have changed, I hope you have a great anniversary.

Jo