I called the police

Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I called the police

My A son called me tonight. He was totally irrational. He was ranting and raving. Generally not making much sense. He said that he is totally alone and is going to wind up on the streets and it's all my fault. I did this to him. He said that he has lost his family....his sister won't talk to him, a mother who doesn't love him, a stepfather who never loved him. He said he has nothing left--nothing to live for. It's over. He said "Maybe I'll talk to you in another life." I told him that if he is threatening, I would call the police. He replied "I'm not threatening you." I told him that he is threatening suicide and I can't just let him make threats like that without taking some action. He said Goodbye I have to go now"

So I called the police.

He has now called back several times begging me to "call them off". He said "See I'm rational now!"

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just want to scream.

I told him that he knows what he has to do if he wants his family. He needs to be clean and sober. I also called his counselor and told him that I thought he was drinking again. They called him and told him to come in to see them tomorrow. He wasn't happy about that either.

I feel like I have betrayed him but I also feel that I did what needed to be done. I am sad. I love him so very much but it is too painful to watch him self destruct.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's very painful. I think you did the right thing.:praying
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

kindeyes.. just wanted you to know your in my prayers
I know this is a hard time for you

keep strong

shakarris
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You did the right thing even though it feels so awful. It was the most loving thing you could do.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If he was serious, you may have saved his life. If he was manipulating you, you refused to be manipulated. Either way, it was right thing to do. I hope you find some comfort in that. ((()))

L
Old 02-19-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Kindeyes,
It sure sounds to me like you did the right thing for him. I also believe that you might have saved his life. It also sounds like you really surprised him by following through on what you said you would do. I really feel that what you did took a whole lot of strength and love for your son.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((kindeyes)))
Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kindeyes,
You did the only thing that you could do. I know it hurts but you did the right thing.
**{HUGS}}
Melissa
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

you and your son are in my prayers tonight
Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't heard anything from our A son through the night. My husband took his last call and was very calm and rational in speaking with him. He said that our son was talking in circles and making lots of accusations but was fairly calm.

It did surprise him that I called the police. He has threatened suicide many many times before and it is always a way for him to yank my emotions around. He knows that those are very painful words for a mother to hear. If it was a bluff (as it has been in the past), he'll hopefully stop using that ploy. He just wants me to hurt as badly as he is hurting.

What I really really want to do is wrap my arms around him and hold him and tell him that everything's going to be alright. But I know that I can't and it's not true unless he embraces sobriety.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

{hugs} Kindeyes, from what I've read you know you are acting as you must. Don't forget that. You are loving him in the most supportive way you can.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

(((((Kindeyes))))), i think your a great mum! You are doing the best for him and yourself at this time. keep strong,

Lily xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Just wanted to send my care, support and prayers...You are a great mom!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

You definitely did the right thing. Keep it up and hang in there. It may get worse before it gets better. Keep your faith in your HP that whatever needs to happen will happen.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Kindeyes- I've been thinking about you and missing you, because I hadn't seen any posts from you lately.
Truly sorry to hear your son is in a bad way with the terrible symptoms of addiction.
We work at managing our fears + worries, but sometimes we have to act on them and they are real. My thoughts are with you because I know the anxiety associated with a son who is self destructing.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

Yes, you are doing the right thing. My alcoholic sister has threatened suicide in the past, too, as a way to manipulate us into caring for her and taking care of her. They were never serious attempts.

Take some time for yourself, too, and keep posting!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post

I feel like I have betrayed him but I also feel that I did what needed to be done. I am sad. I love him so very much but it is too painful to watch him self destruct.
I'm sorry you are going through this painful situation. Know that you did the right thing and thsat you did not betray your son. He will learn alot from this event, no doubt.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Kindeyes

Sorry that you are going through this right now-

I do believe that you know what you are doing and be proud for doing what you felt was right by calling the police. Sometimes just saying that to someone can help them to open their eyes even if for a brief moment.

Following through was something that was done out of love-no need to feel guilty-saving his life which it sounds as if that is what was done is a GRAND thing-

My A Brother is out and about again as he was kicked out a in house program for drinking-I know the feeling as a sister of wanting to just wrap my arms around him/those we love. Detaching ourselves with that love is the best thing that we can do for them although painful at times....

Hang in there KindEyes! Prayers to all of you
Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Here's one more person telling you you did the right thing.