Truly A Person I Didn't Really Know At All....

Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Wink Truly A Person I Didn't Really Know At All....

First I'd like to say that this is a thread that i think that have finally seen the light with my exabf!!

Friday night i went to my roommate's family function where i was bombarded about J, not my asking or doing. I've learned over the past couple of months that what i don't know, doesn't hurt me Well i showed up and some of you may know that my roommate's dad works with J. From what i understand, a letter has surfaced that J wrote back in the Fall about her father that in turn got him FIRED Friday. Obviously i don't know the details nor do i care but from what i do know and knew when we were together, her father helped J so much and saved his butt and now this, very disappointing.

I really have to say that i didn't know him at all. I thought i did, but really i don't/didn't, it's a weird feeling and almost sad on my behalf that i looked past what was probably staring me right in the face the whole time. Well live and learn right? I just think it's too bad that a hard worker, good guy like her father is now going through this because of a snake like my exabf. I just thank the Lord that we are not together at this moment, could you imagine me dating him, staying at my apt. with my roommate....what a mess. My mom said on Sat. thank God I'm not with him in all this drama. I agree, it's mind boggling how wrapped up i got in just a short time frame.

Anyways, I'd like to say to all the newcomers, welcome! I see alot of new names in here and from someone who NEVER was going to see the light, i think i may be getting it FINALLY with all the great help here.

P.s. i was told a tidbit, besides the usual thank God I'm not with him anymore and i deserve better. He and the gf were at a wedding that an acquaintance of mine was at and he said she couldn't even stand due to whatever she was on very sad, especially as he's supposedly is sober. I know, not my problem but it's pretty sad to go from a straight laced, everything going for her girl to that....ICK!!!

P.s.s I have a date Friday night......YIKES, wicked scared!!!

Anyways, i miss you guys alot and hope you are all doing better as each day goes on.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heather,
You know, for some reason you had to go through all the pain you went through with the whole J relationship. Now you are shining coming through the other side. I have found that great and valuable lessons were learned through my deepest, darkest times. I sure didn't feel good about learning anything at the time, but by walking that path all the way through I came out more whole and a lot wiser about life and about my own personal worth. You are young to have had to learn through such pain, but I'm sure it was for a very good reason. God just works that way, I believe. Who knows what your future holds, but you have definitely stayed on the higher ground in the past and I see you doing that in the future as well. You have always sounded full of love and hope and dreams, a kind and loving girl, and someday you will find the real TRUE relationship that you deserve.

Good luck on Friday! Sounds like fun!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heather

So glad you made it to the other side, it's so much better here isnt it. Weve come a long way sweetie

"P.s.s I have a date Friday night......YIKES, wicked scared!!!"

Wipeee how cool is that, you have a great time ok

Mair xx
Old 02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hbb View Post
First I'd like to say that this is a thread that i think that have finally seen the light with my exabf!!
I knew you would get there in your own time. {hugs}
Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a relationship that lasted 3 years and when it was over I didn't know the person either. I t depends what mask they have on because they usually don't show their true colours.

ngaire
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From what i understand, a letter has surfaced that J wrote back in the Fall about her father that in turn got him FIRED Friday.

"Snake" is pretty mild, Heather, when it comes to describing behaviour like that and that's something I can very much identify with. XABF specializes (ed) in digging dirt on people such as fellow employees and management. He called it self-protection and I didn't realize just how sick he was until he used it on me after we went no contact. I should have read the writing on the wall as it was happening to others but I think I chose to ignore that behaviour because I wanted to.

People who feel a need to seek revenge are one more category of person I don't need in my life.

Positive thoughts for your upcoming date....just enjoy...one step at a time!

ARL
Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Thank you....

I guess i'm finally getting past the sad, anger, resentment, wishing he would fall off a cliff and lonely phases of all of this. I've come to accept that it is what it is and if he wants to live a miserable, back stabbing, unproductive life that's fine for him...NOT ME

I'm not saying i don't have my moments but it truly is a lightbulb moment when it does become clearer that WOW, my life would have been pure hell and probably for a long time as i'm not one to let go or see things for what they are most of the time. I'm was the "fixer" of the relationship and that's no way to live, i need to be healthy again and with him i was quickly going down the drain with the sinking ship that he is.

I can actually say now with certainty that it's his loss and that i DO deserve so much better than him and what he has to offer. But i will say that this whole mess has pushed me to get myself better once and for all and i like doing that.

ARL ~ i agree, snake is a mild term, i do have other choice words but they are not nice lol!!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He and the gf were at a wedding that an acquaintance of mine was at and he said she couldn't even stand due to whatever she was on
Associating with inferiors (people worse off than themselves) is a common alcoholic trait.

You've made real progress and should be proud.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Heather, this is great news congratulations! You are moving forward and gaining understanding. I'm so happy for you. Have a great time on Friday on your date, let us all know how it goes!!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-19-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Big Thumbs Up to you Heather. What a monumental point you have reached. I can't wait to join you there. I am still so stuck in the anger phase. I hope after the divorce is final, I can seek the forgiveness that my heart and mind so desperately needs.
Have a great time on your date. Just concentrate on enjoying yourself.
Melissa
Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Originally Posted by hope2bhappy View Post
Associating with inferiors (people worse off than themselves) is a common alcoholic trait.

You've made real progress and should be proud.
Thank you, you hit the nail on the head here! I think that's why i looked at him the way i did and persued him. I knew i was inferior to him and so it made it easier to date someone like that. But from what i know, you are EXACTLY right, she is below him and it probably makes him feel more important and easier to be with someone like that. Oh well, he'll learn someday and look back and maybe remember what a healthy relationship would have been like, but again, maybe not!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Originally Posted by melbar4 View Post
Big Thumbs Up to you Heather. What a monumental point you have reached. I can't wait to join you there. I am still so stuck in the anger phase. I hope after the divorce is final, I can seek the forgiveness that my heart and mind so desperately needs.
Have a great time on your date. Just concentrate on enjoying yourself.
Melissa
Oh don't get me wrong, i should be more angry than i have been, sometimes my heart gets in the way. I go back and forth but now i see more clearly and i see healthy relationships of my friends and family and that's what i want. I can't stand the constant drama and chaos. It blows my mind that he's get involved in work drama but if it's all he know than i guess that's the norm for him.

Glad you found us here and hope this site has been and will be very helpful for you. It saved my life
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

I am thinking about how powerful your story is.

You are really helping people with your recovery example.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Originally Posted by Growing View Post
I am thinking about how powerful your story is.

You are really helping people with your recovery example.
Thank you, it sure has been a long struggle for me, probably too long. The other hurdle i have is when he has a child, that news (if i should hear) won't be a good day for me i'm sure. My therapist is hoping by then i will hopefully be at the point of "who cares". I'm hoping too. I keep telling myself, how much worse could it be.

I'm so leary about anyone anymore, especially this person friday night, i'm not even really thinking about it. Part of me doesn't feel ready but another part of me says just go because i could use that excuse forever as i'm scared to death to meet anyone. Unfortunately, i feel they are all the same, yet i know it can't be true...
Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

...Part of me doesn't feel ready but another part of me says just go because i could use that excuse forever as i'm scared to death to meet anyone...
It doesn't have to lead anywhere, not even a second date. I would go and allow him to spoil me, he'll be out to impress, let him open doors for you and foot the bill. Enjoy being spoiled.

Lily xxxxxxxxx
Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Heather, I am glad that you are finally getting some peace about your past - it seems to have been a long journey for you. I hope that the a future stage will be being able to look back without painting him "black" - I know I did the same and got some relief from that, although true peace came when I could see it in aless emotive way. As has been said, the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Has your therapist ever discussed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) with you?

Enjoy your date. And don't talk about J!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Originally Posted by karmakoma View Post
Heather, I am glad that you are finally getting some peace about your past - it seems to have been a long journey for you. I hope that the a future stage will be being able to look back without painting him "black" - I know I did the same and got some relief from that, although true peace came when I could see it in aless emotive way. As has been said, the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Has your therapist ever discussed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) with you?

Enjoy your date. And don't talk about J!!!
I'm not going to talk about him I'm also going with another couple so there will be four of us so it shouldn't be uncomfortable.

I'm not sure i will not see him as "black" or in the near future. He is a rotten person and in my opinion there are no good traits that he portrays. I'm hoping to become indifferent and that's what i'm working on with my therapist now. If i can just get to indifferent than life should be better. I swear i'm almost around the bend but have been stuck for some time now.

I've made list after list re us, me, and him. Outlook was grim from the beginning but somehow i feel as though if he came to me and said his heart was never over her than that's where it would have been different. I don't/cant stomach cheating, it disgusts me to no end and infuriates me to no end. It's very very hard for me to hear everyone say "let go" which i know i have to but it pisses me off that he cheated and that's the anger i still have at times. *sigh* i think a swift shin kick would make me feel better lol!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

He is a rotten person and in my opinion there are no good traits that he portrays. I'm hoping to become indifferent and that's what i'm working on with my therapist now.
These two sentences are mutually exclusive. You can't get to indifferent through "he is a rotten person."

I know I spent several months in anger and blame. "How could he do that to me?" As long as I was still in that frame of mind, I was still stuck. The honest truth is I stayed with someone who treated me badly. I stayed with someone who was not going the same direction in life I wanted to go. And I deluded myself into thinking I was somehow "fooled" into believing his manipulation.

Do you see how this kind of thinking makes you a victim? If everything bad that happened was all because of him, then you have no power over your own life. If it was all his fault, then you are just a sitting duck waiting for some other "rotten person" to come along and take advantage of you. With responsibility comes power. If you take responsibility for your part, you then have the power to affect outcomes. Your future is in your hands. Does any of this make sense??

L
Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I like what Dr Phil says about forgiveness. I always remember something I read by him, which I will have to paraphrase as I don't have the passage to hand. "I will not be be bound to you forever in bitterness and hatred. I refuse to be tied to you with my feelings anout what you did."

This is from his website.
Do you still carry around bitterness and anger from being bullied in high school? Or perhaps you're consumed with vengeance and hatred for someone who wronged you? In order to find emotional closure on some event in your life, Dr. Phil recommends that you identify and execute your Minimal Effective Response (MER). Notice that MER includes the word "minimal." Your MER is the least thing that you can do that allows you to get emotional closure. The concept of MER seeks to satisfy your need for resolution without creating a whole new set of problems. It aims to conserve your resources.

An example of what MER is not is when you hear people who are in pain plotting major events to embarrass someone, when all it would take for them to feel some emotional resolve was an explanation and apology.

Getting emotional closure means that you can "close the book" on your situation and its associated pain. You can put that book of pain on the shelf and you will no longer have to take it down and read from it on a daily basis.

In thinking about your MER, analyze your alternatives for action using this four-part test:

1. What action can you take to resolve this pain?

2. If you were successful and achieved this action, how would you feel?

3. Does the feeling you will have match the feeling you want to have?

4. Remember the word "minimal": Could there be some other, more emotionally or behaviorally economical action that would give you the emotional resolve you want to feel?

For example, let's look at the story of Rhonda, a woman in her early 30s, who, starting at the tender age of 12, had been beaten, raped and sexually exploited by her biological father. Once this heinous behavior had begun, Rhonda's sense of self-worth — all of her hope, optimism and esteem — was shattered. Through her father's actions, she had been assigned and browbeaten into a role, and with a broken spirit she accepted that fictional self-concept and the painful life script that came with it.

As if to add insult to injury, her father had recently passed away. As a result, Rhonda was a caldron of emotions. On the one hand, she was relieved that this evil man no longer walked this earth; on the other, she felt guilty that she wasn't sorry. Also bubbling around her emotional pot was a sense of rage and frustration that he had died without ever having been held accountable for his actions.

Rhonda could consider her possible MERs by asking herself, "What is the least thing I can do in order to feel vindicated, to feel justice, feel liberated from this emotional prison that I'm living in?"

Her father had died, but maybe she knows the whereabouts of one of his "buddies" — who had also raped her. Maybe Rhonda's MER is to go see that person and look him in the eye and say, "Don't you think for a minute I don't know what you did to me and I want to be heard. You need to know the pain you caused me. You need to know what it's done to my life and my marriage and my relationship with my children, you no-good, rat-******* son of a bitch."

Maybe that's her MER. Maybe she needs the cathartic effect of getting that heard. Or maybe Rhonda needs to take advantage of the fact that there is no statute of limitations on molestation and go to the authorities, file a complaint, and have this SOB arrested and put in jail.

As you consider your own triggering event and the nature and degree of the suffering you've endured, what is your MER? Maybe you don't feel the need or have the courage right now to do either one of the kinds of things that were contemplated for Rhonda. Maybe what you need to do is write a letter and write down all your thoughts and all your feelings. Maybe that does it for you. Maybe you even need to mail the letter, if your event involves another person. Perhaps, like Rhonda, if you can't mail the letter, then you might need to go to the offender's grave and read it to him or her in the cemetery.

Whatever your MER is, you need to identify it and you need to do it. You need to emit that response until such time as you can say, "OK, that's it. That's enough. My lens is clean. My emotional business is finished and I am free to go back to being that person that I now know that I am."

Forgiveness is also often a part of a successful MER. It can be a difficult step, but one that may be essential to you getting emotional closure. Without forgiveness, you are almost inevitably destined to a life marred by anger, bitterness and hatred. Those emotions only compound the tragedy. You are the only one who pays the price by carrying the negative emotions with you, allowing them to contaminate every element of your current life. Forgiveness is not a feeling that you must passively wait to wash over you. Forgiveness is a choice, a choice that you can make to free yourself from the emotional prison of anger, hatred and bitterness. The choice to forgive is not an easy one, but a necessary one.
I don't yet know whether what I have chosen to be my MER is the right one. I should find out pretty soon. I do know, however, that in order to fully make peace, I need to find it. What might yours be?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And what LTD said. As always.

Just to add - I am always discomfited when I read of people almost rejoicing in other people's "downfall". Living a life of "I'm OK, He's Not OK" does not seem to be a recipe for a contented life. I may have opinions on another person's behaviour, however I refuse to cast myself as judge and jury over another's core. I (and others I have met on this journey) can tell you stories about our ex's that would put some orang-utanging to shame. However, I know that the over-riding sentiment is one of compassion, rather than judgment and bitterness.