Gratitude alphabet.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Gratitude alphabet.

Gratitude alphabet.

This is a recovery excercise I learned from some friends in Overeaters Anonymous. What it does is help me focus on what's _good_ in my life, so that I direct my efforts at increasing those good things, and stop spending so much time thinking about what's wrong. The way it works is that for each letter of the alphabet I come up with all those things I am grateful for.

A

Acceptance. I am grateful for the ability to accept thing in the world that I cannot change, instead of spending my life trying to change the world to my expectations.

Al-Anon. I am grateful for the program of al-anon for having given me the program of recovery, the wisdom in their literature, and the compassion of their members. It was thru this program that I have been able to make improvements in the kind of person I am, and reach a life that is so much better than anything I ever dreamed of.

-----------------------------

ok, now everybody else toss in what you are grateful for that starts with the letter "A". When we run out of "A" words we can start on "B" words

Mike
Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am grateful for art. It brings joy to my life in the best and worst of times.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Appreciation. I am grateful for all of those people who Appreciate me and those who I appreciate. It feels good to be in a place where, as an acoa, I can accept a compliment/appreciation. I used to be very uncomfortable when people were positive about me.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

anonymity - allows me to participate in a wonderful forum and talk about things that I normally hold inside.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

AWARENESS

There's a story of a spiritual teacher whose daily sermons were powerful and inspiring. Hours of preparation often went into creating such messages of hope, love, forgiveness, and joy. One morning, before standing to deliver the day's sermon, the teacher focused on the message about to be given and knew it would probably be the best ever. The teacher remembered the time spent writing and rewriting the words of hope and peace and felt confident that many would be touched by such wisdom. Smiling, the teacher arose and faced those who had gathered toghther for the day's message.

At that moment, a little bird came and sat on the window sill. It began to sing with a full heart for a few minutes. Then it stopped and flew away. The teacher was silent for a moment, then folded the pages to the prepared sermom and announced, "the sermon for this morning is over" - from Gratitude - a way of life - Louise Hay and Friends..

I am grateful for the gift of awareness in my life....for its power to heal....
grateful
Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

alternatives

alternatives, and alternative spaces allow me to continue breathing.
This forum for me is an alternative to doing nothing since I am unable to attend meetings or connect to people much in the world right now.

falloutcity

Old 02-16-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

ACTION

I am grateful to be able to put forth effort and action in my recovery today. I can talk all day about what I know I need to do or what think needs to be done, but I have found that words mean nothing unless I put them into action. For me, recovery doesn't happen by osmosis and no one can give it to me. I have to go get it, and I'm grateful for the opportunity and ability. Just for today, I may not be responsible for my disease but I'm totally responsible for my recovery.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Ability to say no..
Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

AMENDS

I am grateful that, as a result of recovery thru the 12 steps, I've been able to make amends for the wrongs I've done and accepting the part I've played. For me, making amends is about more than saying "I'm sorry," it's more about not repeating the behavior. One of the greatest amends I can make, to myself & others, is to stay clean.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

ATTITUDE

"Our attitudes and ideas are the eyeglasses through which we see our lives. If our 'glasses' are smudged or dirty, our lives look dim. If our attitudes aren't well-focused, the whole world appears distorted. To see the world clearly, we need to keep our attitudes and ideas clean; free of things like resentment, denial, self-pity and closed-mindedness. To ensure our vision of life is in focus, we have to bring our ideas in line with reality.

In addiction, our best thinking kept us from clearly seeing either the world or our part in it. Recovery serves to correct the prescriptions of our attitudinal eyewear. By stripping away our denial and replacing it with faith, self-honesty, humility and responsibility, the steps help us see our lives in a whole new way. The the steps help us keep our spiritual lenses clean, encouraging us to regularly examine our ideas, our attitudes and our actions."

~ Just For Today, page 297 ~

Today I'm grateful for the positive attitude I have. My cup is half full...
Old 02-17-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Babies

My daughter is expecting in August, and I am going to be a Grandmother for the first time. Babies bring a lot of joy in life and are a gift from God.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Blessed for my recovery, HP, friends and family

Becoming a new person everyday I work my program!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I am thankful for BELONGING to a great forum, that helped me to find ways to change my life for the better.

Lily xxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
cmc

Buddies that I meet in recovery are the greatest.
Balance is something I have more of in my life.
Boundaries keep 'my space' peaceful and full of serenity.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

B is for Beginnings - a fresh new start for a fresh new life.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Beauty - I see it just about everywhere these days.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Accountability - the ability to own what is mine without shame and guilt.

Believing...... being able to Believe again ... in God, Myself, recovery, family, friends and life.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My moment of Clarity.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Continuing
Continuing my growth and self knowledge.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

CHANGE - involvement in a 12 step fellowship has helped me understand that I will not be happy simply if someone else changes. I'm learning to take my own inventory and make the necessary changes. I am grateful that this tragedy presented an opportunity for personal growth.
CORE - when I was Consumed with Concern for my AS I tended to focus on what was tragic. I am learning to Counteract the negative by nurturing my spiritual Core. I am grateful for a CONSCIOUS CONTACT with my HP.
CHOICE - I could continue to wallow in pain or I can choose not to be a victim. I don't have to wait for my AS to get better, I choose to have a happy life. I am grateful that I am now choosing to make choices that support that intention.
Counselor - I am grateful that counseling is helpful.