Beginning of Recovery for Myself & AH

Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beginning of Recovery for Myself & AH

Okay, so I feel my thread from a few days ago was a bit dramatic (Beginning of the End?), but it truly was how I felt that day.

My AH and I communicated last night, actually sat down and looked at one another and did not fight (although we came close). He wanted to talk (finally!), I was exhausted, but I said of course because this is what I have been waiting for.

He admits that he needs counseling (Amen), now let's hope that he follows through. He has had one over-the-phone session (I did not know that counselors did this).

I continue to go to Alanon mtgs., and to see a counselor.

So at least we are going in the right direction (for once). I still can't get over the fact that we have been married for 14 yrs. and have never worked on our marriage. I wish marriage was like a car, and that someone would call us every 3 months and say "time to get a tune-up on your marriage".

I'm learning that we repeat what we saw in childhood, as far as relationships go. I/we should have been in counseling for the last 20 years! It's no wonder we are where we are, given our backgrounds (meaning my AH and I).

Anyhow, I have hope that we both are on the right path.

Thanks for listening!

Shivaya

Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How wonderful that you feel you are moving in the right direction! I am happy for you. This sounds like it was a big step for you both.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Barbara52 and Anvilhead, it feels good to be positive.

Anvilhead, you make me laugh! Thank you, thank you. I love humor!

Shivaya
Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that's great and as soon as my AH has done his treatment and gone for his own counselling, we wil go together. At least that is the plan. I have committed to sticking with him IF he continues to see all this through. If not, I'm gone.

So much good luck to you. Know that things won't be fixed over night. Be patient. Be open and truthful. I'm sure you'll get much out of it.