There are many ways to Enable an Alcoholic

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Originally Posted by Mair View Post
If you greet him with a "Good morning, dear, the coffee's ready!" just as if nothing unusual had happened, you have done your part right. You did not allow someone else's inappropriate behavior to provoke your own inappropriate behavior. You have not given the alcoholic the opportunity to "change the subject." He is left alone to face his own pain and shame by himself. When that pain gets to be strong enough, he will be ready to get help.
I totally agree with the above. A few weeks ago, at a shopping center near my house, my AH was so drunk and staggering he actually fell into a car head first, got up again, staggered again, fell into another car, cracked his head open, broke his ribs, and got knocked out. I happened to have been in the deli at the time and saw this. Hate to say it, but I left him there. He's so embarassed, he hasn't been to that shopping center since, but I have. I wasn't the one displaying inappropriate behavior or making a fool out of myself. He was. All I did when he woke up the next day, all sore and all, was ask him how he was feeling and did he need a ride to the dr. End of conversation, and still haven't brought it up since.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is still faulty thinking because it assumes that if I am more serene about the insane behaviour, I can influence a particular outcome (realization that a sober life is probably better). It rather goes against my desire to stop controlling people -Step 1.

I suppose what I am trying to do now is not to suppress my anger etc. but to channel it a bit better. For right now my best response has been to make sure I stay physically away from the insanity of alcoholism. I don't yet trust myself in an insane situation. Too much conditioning to unlearn.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Originally Posted by minah View Post
This is still faulty thinking because it assumes that if I am more serene about the insane behaviour, I can influence a particular outcome (realization that a sober life is probably better). It rather goes against my desire to stop controlling people -Step 1.

I suppose what I am trying to do now is not to suppress my anger etc. but to channel it a bit better. For right now my best response has been to make sure I stay physically away from the insanity of alcoholism. I don't yet trust myself in an insane situation. Too much conditioning to unlearn.
I agree with you minah 100%.

Several people have expressed their disagreement with the "correct reaction".

However, I found the description of the roles we play interesting.

"I stay physically away from the insanity of alcoholism."----glad to see someone who feels the same way I do. I choose not to EVER live with alcoholism again. I had it with both of my parents because I was a child and didn't have the priviledge of "divorcing" my parents. As soon as I was able to move out....I was gone and I have never regretted it.

If anyone ever gets drunk around me, no matter who they are, I leave.