First Alanon Meeting and I feel

Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up First Alanon Meeting and I feel

empowered. I realize I am not alone, I was amazed at the number of people in this group all huddled around two long tables, laughing, crying, sharing and looking me in the eyes. I live in a fairly small town so I wasn't expecting such a big group but I am so glad I went and I am going to one in a nearby town tonight with some of the ladies from last nights group. Tonight's meeting is an open AA meeting and also has an alteen meeting for my daughter. I can't help but wonder if I had started this earlier - No, I can't look back. I am just glad I found a place where I can learn how to work on myself, both Alanon and SR.
Thanks,
Melissa
Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am glad you had such a positive experience. I hope it helps you greatly.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Blessings to you- May you continue to find warmth, comfort and growth along your journey.
:praying
Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

I love al-anon!

I am so happy for you! Thank you for sharing your positive experience.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Melissa, It was so good to read your post and that attending your first Al-Anon meeting made a huge difference in your life. I am a long time member and I had the similar "Ah-ha" moment that you described at your first meeting. I was no longer alone, I felt accepted, and loved. I was validated and knew I wasn't going crazy and that the drinking was not my fault. Fear brought me to Al-Anon but now it is faith that it works and saved my life that keeps me coming back. I am fortunate in that I resisted coming to Al-Anon for so long that once I finally starting going to Al-Anon, I never stopped. The principles of the Twelve Steps are part of my life and I want to help others receive the same benefits of Al-Anon that I received.

I urge you to continue to attend Al-Anon. Changed attitudes do lead to recovery. It may not be evident right away in your family life, however, by getting off of the merry-go-round, you are not only helping yourself, you are also helping the alcoholic.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

In Al-Anon I learn something everyday and the day I learned that I was not the only one with the feelings I felt inside that was HUGE for me!

Glad that you had a great first time experience!