Misogynists? - OT

Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

from time to time misogynists lurk around the halls of SR
um - hate to break this to you all - but they're everywhere. Our culture fosters misogyny.

And no it isn't restricted to men. My mother is a rabid misogynist herself, and raised all her sons to be the same. It's not something people recover from like they recover from alcoholism. Well maybe it is sort of - it requires a complete change of heart and of habits and of thought processes, but it's not a physical or biochemical condition that I am aware of. A product of your upbringing, and the society you were raised in. US culture is quite misogynistic, although improved greatly from just a few decades ago.

I myself am a misanthrope, a direct result of being an ACOA, and growing up female in a misogynistic family. My recovery consists of learning to like people.

No, my xAH is not at all misogynistic, although he does have a screwed up relationship with his mother. I don't know that I see any particular causative correlation between alcoholism and misogyny, but they do often go together I'm sure.

You don't have to kill someone to be a misogynist. You can simply be verbally abusive towards women and girls, or denigrating, or dismissive. You can promote depictions of violence against women as entertainment. You can look the other way when women are discriminated against, or abused. You can support legislation that treats women with dependent children as parasites, or that restricts women's property rights or access to divorce. You can view pregnancy and childcare duties as punishment for having sex.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

gynophobia -the fear of women, but not necessarily hatred of them
s.o.b. - afraid of paying child support to women
My ex got a bad case of misogyny when it came time to pay child support and a fair share of community property. Both his ex-wives learned of his terminal case when we tried to get a nickel of child support from the s.o.b.