update

Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update

I know I still probably belong mainly in the alcoholism forum, but I feel as though I established routes here and I value all your advice dearly.

I've left Baltimore and am again going to school in Greensboro. I've temporarily left all the alcoholics in my life behind. I still talk to them but their problems are completely out of my control now. I've been having a few beers every night but only been drunk once in two weeks! That's great for me I'm still planning on attending both aa and alanon when I secure a buddy to go with me.

Friday night I was walking down the hallway and looked up to see a friend of mine stumbling down the hallway. I dropped my stuff and walked over to her. She was slurring, yelling and crying about something. I went to give her a hug and she pushed my arms away and told me it was not my problem. I told her she should probably stop drinking and call it a night, and walked away. I did not leave home to deal with this again. Later on in the night she came up to me crying about how her parents had told her she couldn't come home and she asked to stay with me for some time over the summer. I told her that her parents asked her to leave for a reason, and that I would not enable her. If she wants to return home or stay with me she has to clean up her act, and left again.

Lately I've been staying in on the party nights and spend my time reading, writing or playing with my three furry children, my rats. I feel pretty good about myself. I've discovered its ok to be alone so long as I keep busy and productive. I've been getting all my work done and my stress level has significantly dropped. Life is pretty good

thanks for all your help you guys!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Otis7 View Post
I feel pretty good about myself. I've discovered its ok to be alone so long as I keep busy and productive. I've been getting all my work done and my stress level has significantly dropped. Life is pretty good

thanks for all your help you guys!

Congrats on starting to discover what life is really all about. I wish I would have had your insight when I was your age!

Way to go. Before you know it, you will begin to attract others into your life who feel the same way. Keep working towards real happiness, not the artificial kind, and you will find it.

L
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Otis -

I have been wondering about you -- glad you gave us an update. I'm happy that you are making progress. Keep it up.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! What a great update! So glad to hear you're doing great and back on a good track!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you otis... keep on going, one day at a time - you are doing great

shakarris
Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic news Otis, life is for living!!!

Mair