Hopeful

Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopeful

Hi everyone! Just for the record, I actually had a very good weekend. Yes she drank, but she did not get wasted like she normally does on weekends. She even opened up to me. We talked about something that does not make since at all. She says that she really doesn't need to drink, she just needs that high she gets from drinking, so what does that mean if she stopped drinking she would end up doing something else just to get that high. She says she just can't function without the high. I tried to talk to her about going to AA meetings but she says she has tried that and that did not work, so what now, I even told her that I was thinking of going to meetings for myself, she did get kind of an attitude. I explained to her that if she was not willing to get help or even try then I needed to seek help for myself. I don't think she really thinks she is an alcoholic, because even though she drinks everyday, she doesn't get drunk or wasted all the time then she is fine. Sometimes she even gets me thinking that. But that doesn't last to long.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Hazel,
Just a thought or two about the insanity of alcoholism and what she was trying to communicate (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), 1) she says she doesn't need to drink, she just like the high she gets - well in the last sentence or two of your post you say she drinks everyday, but doesn't get drunk or wasted. So in essence, where's that high she claims she needs? She still drinks but doesn't get high. It seems she contradicted herself. And 2) most alcoholics, till they are ready to get help, don't think they're alcoholics. It's just the way it goes. It's all a con game to justify their drinking. JMHO.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hazel, If she has a buzz going 24/7 (which you do if your drinking everyday).
trying to make sense out of your dialoge would be impossible. Try some meetings,
and get back to (YOUR) normal. She sounds pretty mixed up.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

focus on you Hazel. A's will tell you a lot of things that will make you stay, mine told me he had cancer!!! No matter what reasons they give one thing is for sure they will only stop drinking when they want to. My xab also had the capability to stay sober when he knew he was treading on ice, and because i wanted to beleive that he could control his drinking i stayed that bit longer, till the next disaster.

My xab never liked the idea that i went to meetings and posted here he would always ask "do they tell you to leave me"??? I never told him anything only that it was for me for my sanity. Learn all you can about alcoholism and what you have in store for you.

Keep posting help is at hand for when you need it, it's a rollercoater ride and not a pleasant one.

best wishes to you

Mair xx