Need Encouragement

Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Encouragement

AH was sober on Friday and as always on the weekend...He never drinks when i'm at home...I belive that bordom is a big contributor to his drinking...so that's 3 days sober. Fantastic weekend of doing normal things. I never thought i'd like us both cleaning our flat together.

He's at home today, I've been good and not called him. he called me this morning to tell me about the job that he's meant to be starting tomorrow and that his new boss wants him to do something for him on wed at a govt office then go into the office...It's so that he can start work as it'll be for a charity. I'm trying so hard not to think of is he isn't he drinking or to think about it at all just to get on with work. I'm trying not to call, txt or email him..I'm trying to be normal!!

Please give me encouragement
Old 01-21-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this! We can all control our thoughts by redirecting thoughts that are not productive to something else and we can definitely control our actions. If you don't want to call, etc., just don't do it. If you find yourself thinking about whether he is drinking, direct your thoughts somewhere else.

One thing I find very helpful when worrying about my AH is visualization. For me this involves my visualizing what I mean when I say I am letting go and letting God. I picture my AH inside a globe into which I stuff all my concerns about AH and from which those concerns cannot escape. I then picture God holding that globe in His hands, symbolizing for me that AH is in His hands and I can let go all those concerns. Anytime those concern try to leak out, I shove them right back into that globe and remember it is all in God's hand and I can let go.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a very good way of dealing with it...definately something i will try. Thanks for your help
Old 01-21-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're welcome. I have found that sort of technique to be very effective. Try it in a quiet space while doing deep breathing relaxation techniques.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Barbara52 - I did it. I visualised and thought of other things. Time flew by. I just got a txt from my husband. I could understand it. We had a txt conversation and i still didn't call him to double check or listen to the tailtell signs. I answered his questions and asked him to put the thermostate on to heat the water. I didn't ask how he was or anything...Bloody hard...I'm not 100% convinced...but I'm allowing myself to hope!