went for supper

Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

went for supper

Hi,

went for supper last night after the meetng with a fellow member. He never asked me ONE question about myself. I figure well not even one question about me.................need I say more?

won't be a repeat supper

Ngaire
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Earthworm...I am glad you reported this "red flag" because it shows me that I am not entirely off-base in terms of my expectations about other people and, in particular, members of the opposite sex who might be potential relationship material.

It could be that this man is still very much wrapped up in his own recovery and still dealing with his baggage...NOT available!

Reminds me of a greeting card I saw where there's a cartoon of a couple sitting at a table in a bar. She looks really fed up and the guy says "Gosh, I've spent all evening talking about myself and I haven't given you the chance to ask me anything about me." Guess these scenarios are all too common!

ARL
Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same thing happened to me, except he is not an A. I was friends with a man, it briefly went to "more" and should never have. It wrecked the friendship when we split. About five years later, we chatted online again and got together for breakfast. The ENTIRE TIME he talked about his hobbies, his last relationship (I did ask what happened), his retirement, blah blah blah. I sat there the entire time nodding and smiling, waiting for him to say "enough about me ..." and it never happened! I left and thought "Boring! Never again!"

Sorry, but a conversation is two people talking, back and forth. It isn't an endless one-sided thing. It just goes to show you that a person doesn't have to be an A or in recovery to be totally wrapped up in him/herself.

Won't be repeat breakfast here, either!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Nope, 'nuf said.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Uggghhh, i HATE that......

Looking back my ex didn't either, i don't think he knows much about me to tell you the truth! HUGE red flag.....selfish and consumed sounds like.

Tell him next time that he's enough company for himself for dinner lol!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was happy that I noticed it, in the past I wouldn't have noticed that kind of thing or I would have thought some ridiculous thing like "he is shy" and still pursued it.

now thank god I notice.

Ngaire
Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, a definite sign of someone too wrapped up in themselves. I didn't notice this particular red flag when dating and then married to my STBXAH but he rarely asked me about me and what was going on in my life. {shrug} At least now I know to look for this one.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im doing onlne dating now (more like off-line as I havnt had the courage to actually go OUT on a date).

A guy calls last week...talked all about his favorite subject...HIM.

His job
his boss
his kid
his dead wife
his in laws
his mean boss
him him him him....

mentioned I had a job, even told it what it was...he promptly forgot and asked "What do you do again".

That was the one and only call. Red flags waving boldly in the wind.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Miss Pink View Post
Im doing onlne dating now
I met my AH on one of those sites. I won't be going to any of them again.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried online dating, too. It wasn't for me. I finally got up the courage to let one gentleman call me. We spoke for a while and then I asked him "so, what do you want to know about me?" He paused then asked:

"Do you have long nails and pedicured feet?"

If the things that mattered to him most were sexy hands and feet, then I figured he wasn't the guy for me.

The conversation went downhill from there. But I did net one good thing from my online dating escapades: a fabulous pasta recipe from a gentleman who asked me this on the first date:

"So, how many dates does it take for you to sleep with someone?"

Neither gentleman got the goods.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on this on-line dating site but I'm not answering anybody right now. I have mixed feelings about it.

Ngaire
Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went on two dates in six months then decided it wasn't for me. But at least I was open to trying something new. But then again, perhaps I wasn't....
Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

I was going to pursue an on line dating site but i'm scared! My mother told me that sometimes i need to do what's uncomfortable. Maybe in a few months once i figure out me enough to write down that "about me" section lol!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The biggest problem I had with dataing sites is that they are full of married men on the prowl for little fun. Or single men doing the same for that matter. You just have to be very selective I guess as in any dating situation.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I met the man I'm currently dating online. I also met several that had giant red flags. It's a crap shoot, just like in the offline world. The nice thing about online is that you can screen out the "absolutely nots" rather quickly and not waste any time. Like the guy who sent me an email that was basically his resume. Said something like--I don't have a lot of time right now, but here is a little about me. A little???!!! It was a list of everything he had ever done, with links to online articles about him. (He is an actor) LOL I actually answered him back asking him to tell me about himself other than his career. He emailed back that his career was his life and there was nothing else to tell. Since I wasn't looking to hire an actor, I let it go at that.

One thing I will share is that it really pays off to spend some time thinking about what you say about yourself. When I first posted a profile, I didn't really know what to say so I just put up a bunch of stuff about myself that I thought described me. I attracted nothing but losers and weirdos. When I mentioned this to my therapist, she offered to help me write a profile that reflected who I truly am and what I am really looking for. That's the profile that caught the attention of the man I am seeing now, and have been for 8 or 9 months. So my advice is do not take what you write about yourself lightly. Take some time to really examine yourself, because if you get real about it, you will attract the right kind of person for you. Like attracts like, remember?

L
Old 01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

LaTeeDa...do you care to share any of your profile writing tips with us?

Thanks!

ARL
Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I don't know if I have any "tips," but here is what we did. We took the original profile and distilled it down. For example, I had some drivel in there about how I had bought an 80-year-old art deco style home because I could not imagine myself living in a boring, beige, tract house. She said that sounded judgemental of people who live in tract houses. This hadn't occurred to me as I was simply trying to state my individuality. So we changed that part to read:

"I am drawn to the unusual in people and things. I find myself attracted to unconventional types, however, if you have a lifestyle that is financially insecure, I would have to pass."

The second one more clearly conveyed what I was trying to say, which is that I am unconventional and therefore attracted to other unconventional people. Also, I'm not interested in freeloaders, LOL.

I guess it's just a matter of taking what you think you want to say and running it through a filter of 1) is it who I really am? and 2) how can I say it in positive terms?

I know a lot of those sites have profile help, which basically tells you to write what you think others are looking for. Marketing yourself, in a sense. I would disagree with that. It seems to me better to be real about who you are and what you want. Better to get fewer responses from people who actually interest you than more responses from people who don't.

All this is just my opinion, and believe me, I got plenty of responses to both profiles from men who didn't interest me at all. LOL

L
Old 01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I put in my profile "intellectual,handsome man" and "drinkers and smokers need not apply".

I've gottien anything BUT these things. So one thing it tells me when I get someone whose profile says "I drink and smoke" is they either didn't read my profile or didn't give a rats behind about what they read (self-centeredness) anyways automatic delete.

ngaire
Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
I put in my profile "intellectual,handsome man"
What does intellectual mean to you? Masters degree? Politically active? Well-read? College professor?

What does handsome mean to you? Older and distinguished? Six-pack abs? Moustache? James Bond?

Everyone wants an "intellectual, handsome man," and lots of men think they are exactly that. Maybe you could try being a little more specific? Not advice, just suggestion.

As far as the drinking and smoking goes, that's about as specific as it gets. Delete is the perfect answer.

L
Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good suggestions..............I had one guy send me his picture.........six pack abs, pecs and standing there with a beer in his hand.............

actually I was also thinking of the word "spiritual" which I put in my profile "I follow a spiritual faith" I'm thinking the word spiritual might attract some kooks.

ngaire