OT - My dog was put to sleep this morning

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Sunnie, sending out a cyber hug for you, too.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ICU

(((Sunnie))) I'm so very sorry for your loss as well.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BBD

I'm so sorry cagefree~ You will miss him forever. It's so hard loosing a pet~ a member of the family. Think sweet thoughts and know he's happy in doggie heaven!! Smiles, Bonnie
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

(((((Cage)))))) Im so sorry, i know how hard it can be to lose such a close companion. I had my Winslow (cat) for 13 years before putting him down. It truly is like losing a family member. Big hugs to you

(((ICU)))) big hugs to you too, i'm thinking of the both of you.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

CF, I remember that you were very kind to me when I came here sad because my sweet kitty had to be put to sleep.

In the months between my loss and yours I have found that thinking of the good memories helps so much ... the times we sat in the sun together rubbing our faces like friendly cats do, the time she almost caught a frog, the way she stretched so luxuriously.

When the pain is less acute those precious moments will warm your heart again and it will be okay.

Until then, allow yourself time to grieve. It's okay.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

(((((Sunnie)))))))))

I just read about your loss too.....I am so sorry. Hold her memory strong and may you always feel the warmth of those memories.

ARL
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

(((CF)))

Been there done that. It is the most awful decision we have to make - to decide that our beloved companion has had enough and will never get better. And that we are powerless to help them! that's what hurts the worst for me.

You did the only thing anyone could have done for your dog at this point. It was hard and you didn't want to have to do it and it hurts like heck and will for a long time, but you did what you had to do when it was time.

I had to carry my dog into the vet's office when it was her time. The hardest thing I'd done for ages was walk away and leave her lying dead on the floor when they were done - much harder than leaving the AH. I'd saved her so many times from the dumb things dogs do to themselves, but I couldn't save her from old age and cancer. And then facing the second dog, left home alone, wondering why I came back alone after carrying the old dog out to the car and driving away with her!

We understand how much you're hurting right now. Dogs love unconditionally, something the people in our lives haven't been capable of. And we promise in return to take care of all their needs - but we can't keep Death at bay forever. Your doggie got a pretty good deal out of life, and a good long one too, and is at rest now.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. I wanted to let u know that even though ur dog has left in his body form he is still with u in spirit. When u were in bed last night u were not alone his spirit was still in the place he always slept. In life he lived to make u happy and he is still watching over u. He sees u cry and he wants to lick away your tears. Please know that he is with u and still taking care of u....
Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

(((Cage))))
Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Cage Honey I'm so sorry-I had to do this back in June my 18 year (3 days after her birthday) she was my furry child-I feel your pain but, as you said you "know it was the right thing"

Many to you sweets
Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

(((((Cagefree))))) I am so sorry for your loss! I am a dog person and just love mine too. My daughter had a sweet hamster named Sophie that we had to put to sleep on Labor Day. It was an incredibly hard day and few weeks afterwards. We have her buried under a rock my daughter painted on in our back yard. Our pets are so special- unconditional love. Take care!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

I'm very touched by all your stories of the loss of your pets. The mysterious power of the human animal bond is one of the many reasons why I chose to leave my career in software and become a veterinarian.

Animals have the ability to bring out the best in us, they do it effortlessly and with unconditional love. Their presence in our lives makes us better human beings and I wanted to be a part of that; to play a very tiny but vital role in changing the world for good. (I know it's corny but what can I say. Computers and the internet may be "helpful" and "enhance productivity", but it just wasn't the same thing...)

I always try to post a link to our pet loss help line on threads about animals passing. Sorry I'm a little late, but I had some kind of killer flu over the past week and was totally incapacitated by it.

My vet school provides this service free of charge and uses it as a way of teaching its students how to advise, discuss, handle their clients when an animal passes either by natural causes, euthanasia, or unexpectedly due to accident or illness. All the students are trained in counseling and will talk to you as long as you like. I did it during my 1st year of school.

Here's information if you want to find out more about C.A.R.E. or call: C.A.R.E. Pet Loss Helpline - About the Helpline, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign I encourage anyone who has lost a pet and is still grieving to call whether the loss is recent or not. Besides talking they can also take your address and send out "grief packets" tailored to your situation that contain useful information as well as ways to find local support in the form of groups etc. All of their services are provided free of charge.

We all handle loss in different ways and for many, the intensity of emotion felt when a pet dies is unexpected and often difficult to overcome. I hope it is a small comfort to know that, you're not alone.

~SK
Old 01-12-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Pets are the joy of the world; love wrapped in fur. Cherishing and protecting them while they are here is as much our responsibility as it is to gently facilitate and support them when their lives are over.

What a wonderful life your pet lived while being cared for by you. Thinking of you with sympathy - - Take care.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Keepingmyjoy

((((((cage)))))))

I am so sorry. I had to put my beloved beagle, who I rescued and loved with all my heart, to sleep shortly after little guy was born. Honestly, I think I cried harder losing her than for any thing that happened in my life to that point...and that says a lot!

I too believe they are in a better place. A funny thing happened a couple of days after I had to put her to sleep. I woke up one morning and I swear...I mean I HEARD her barking at the door to go out! At first I thought I was dreaming, but then I sat up on the side of the bed, and I heard it again!

I know that sounds crazy to most people, but I cry as I write this. I held her as she was leaving me and told her I would never forget her and would always love her. I truly believe she came back to tell me she was okay.

Hugs to you. I will be thinking of you and your sweetie. Remembering the happy times was something that helped me through. But I still cry to this day.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss I know that my dog is like my child... I love him as much if not more. He's my best friend and companion and I will be devastated when I have to say goodbye. Hopefully that won't be for a long time. My thoughts are with you as I know your heart is really aching.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss. Those of us who love our furbabies know that they are not "just animals"...they are a part of our family, and have a huge part of our hearts.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

((((cagefree))) ((((sunny)))))

i'm so sorry for your loss. my beloved rudy dog is 12 years old and i think often of the day that i will have to be brave, and selfless enough to make that decision.

it is so true that our furbabies become as big of a part of our family as any other member. at least in my case, and i know many others that feel the same way.

i'm grateful that you were brave enough to make the call, cagefree. i know it must have been very tough. and i'm so grateful that you got to hold your beloved while he passed.

many blessings to you sweety
and much love
jeri
Old 01-13-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss. I have been down that road and absolutely dread the day it happens again. My girl, Tessa, is my best friend. She is only 3 and I hope to have many, many more years with her.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

(((((((((((Sunny)))))))))))) I am so sorry you are hurting too! Our babies are so precious and it seems to empty without them around.

Mushroom, I too had to carry my dog into the vet's and he couldn't stand at that point. A 50lb mut in his heyday died at only 36 lbs. I am haunted by memories of walking away leaving him in that cold and sterile place.