Step TWO- break down resistance to the Higher Power

Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Post Step TWO- break down resistance to the Higher Power

With the beginning of a new yr. I am working the steps again. This week is step two. This is what I think about it. Please add your own step 2 thoughts.
Came to Believe in a Power greater than myself, i.e. breaking down the resistence to the Higher Power and building faith.
I don't have to adopt a particular idea what the Higher Power is, it is more important that I cease fighting anyone or myself and let in the peace and joy of a spiritual connection. Step two requires us to develop faith but does not require that we swallow a belief or dogma whole. The three foundations of faith are practice, study & contact with a teacher, sponsor or spiritual friend. In this way faith develops organically through experience. If life gets better, we know we are on the right path. Checking with the wise and learning to listen to the advice of those I trust helps me to guard against bias of my own interpretation of results.
I am reminded of the serenity prayer, "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change." which helps me to let go of the need to control everything in my life. The things that cause me difficulty fall into the category of things I cannot change.
Buddhism sees the idea of "self " as delusion. I can envision a life not controlled by my will, a life in tune with something other than my own masterplan. With Step two I recognize the need for some other resource besides my own will and a place to nurture hope for my own healing.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to accept that I was careering towards insanity before I could even begin to understand this step.

Once I did, I was tired enough to take a time out. Funny how things resolved themselves without my expert input. Guess that was my HP at work? Yup, when I recognised that my HP was LIFE.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was when I began to live Proverbs 3:5-6 (it begins "Trust the Lord with all your heart and look not to your own understanding. ") that I truly began to make progress.

This has helped me let go of all the things in life I cannot control or change and to stop worrying about it. I hand it off to God and listen and wait.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
It was when I began to live Proverbs 3:5-6 (it begins "Trust the Lord with all your heart and look not to your own understanding. ")
"... and He shall direct your paths." My favorite proverb, Barbara. I rely on it to remind myself I must step back and wait. I learned that inaction was always better than action when I was so uncertain... that my paths are directed by a higher power -- one who is looking out for me.

But the verse that gives me hope, reinforces my faith, relieves my worry and reminds me that I'm not in control is Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you... plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

This restores me to sanity.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
gns

Great topic.

I think faith is hard. I often feel like I am "outside God's love", one of the "not chosen" and thus a victim. I am not always sure God is looking out for me.

How do you overcome these feelings?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"inaction is better than action when uncertain"
OOh, I like that one. I MAY have to tape it to the fridge.
This was a new concept for me that I recently started practicing.
I am also learning to stop wasting my energy thinking, worring and doing for others; I can save my energy for me. Now there is a thought!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gns View Post
I think faith is hard. I often feel like I am "outside God's love", one of the "not chosen" and thus a victim. I am not always sure God is looking out for me.
For me, I think the fact that I am even in this world means that I was chosen. When I was younger, I always felt I had been foresaken. My spirituality grew as I grew. I learned to think in more mature terms. No matter what, or who, you choose to believe in, it can be a real relief to know (or believe) that there is a greater force out there directing you. What happens to me today is of little consequence. It is more about the big picture... like pieces of a puzzle fitting together. As life goes on, I can see it all falling into place. I had to learn to "listen." I had to let go of any belief I had that I was in control. I had to remind myself that I do the footwork, God handles the management. The more I fought to stay in control, the unhappier I was (the insanity).

I've heard that bad times can bring one closer to God ("a power greater than myself"). For me, this has been true. It was during the bad times that I would turn to the Bible for answers. I found the answers there. So, I guess I could say that bad times were actually blessings in disguise, because they helped me find my way ("restored me to sanity").
Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say "thanks" for this post. I think I will start working the steps (although I'm not quite to step 2 just yet). Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ElektrykEye- if you start working the steps perhaps you will see a transformation. I was never religious and not even spiritual. The steps are a guide that can begin a spiritual awakening. At first glance I thought since I am not an alcoholic/addict they were not for me. Luckily, I began to understand their significance.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have no desire to understand my HP. I know it's there and that leaves me free to live my life. It's wonderful.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
ElektrykEye- if you start working the steps perhaps you will see a transformation. I was never religious and not even spiritual. The steps are a guide that can begin a spiritual awakening. At first glance I thought since I am not an alcoholic/addict they were not for me. Luckily, I began to understand their significance.
Is there a specific 12-step workbook for us codependents? (Sorry to hijack your topic)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never used to be very religious or spiritual either, but I have to say what I have overcome in the last couple years must be part of a "bigger plan" because I am definitely a lot closer to my HP than I was 2 years ago.