could use some ESH from recovering addicts

Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

could use some ESH from recovering addicts

For you recovering addicts who had family members who embraced their own recovery through family groups and who learned the valuable lesson of loving detachment and letting you suffer the pain of your own choices -

did it really make a positive difference in your journey to recovery? do you feel your loved ones' loving detachment caused you to find recovery sooner? did their loving detachment make absolutely any difference at all in your journey?

I look at my AS's situation (what of know of it, anyway) and wonder if anything or anyone (besides getting high or his partying friends) impact him at all.....

Call me Discouraged today...

Thanks in advance to all who reply...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Oh yeah my ex definitely had an impact and inspired me to achieve sobriety by announcing that she was done, wanted a divorce, and showed me the door. I walked into my first AA meeting the next day and stayed sober since then.

But anvilhead is absolutely right, nobody could force me to quit or stay sober, I had to want it. And believe me, I've seen plenty of people who either don't want it or aren't ready yet. If they were, AA meetings would be bursting at the seams. But the sad fact is that most newcomers to recovery attend a meeting or two and decide that they're not ready for recovery yet.

I really wish they'd stick around, I'd sure hate to be "out there" again. But I can't save or rescue anyone, and I certainly can't keep them sober if they don't want it.