I'm soooooo happy!

Old 06-11-2003, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm soooooo happy!

OK, a lot of you know my story, so you know I've been crying on your shoulder for some time. Squinty has continued to drink, never owning up to having any kind of problem, and it's all my fault--you've heard it all. He has NEVER said he was sorry. Getting worse, and occassionally better for a time--but I've been learning to work on me, so I'm dealing with it lots better.

Well, last night, he started getting obnoxious, because he was really drunk. Unfortunately, my daughter's boyfried was here, and was a witness to his obnoxiousness. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up telling him as nicely as I could (while everyone was in a different room and couldn't hear) that he needed to go to bed now, because he was drunk and making a fool of himself. Well, he got about a foot from my face and said, "I've been waiting to say this for a long time---I may be drunk, but I will wake up tomorrow sober, and you will still be fat and stupid.

Well, he went to bed, and I fluffed it off the best I could, realizing he only said it because he was drunk, but still hurting--you know.

Well, 3 of my daughters left at 4:30 a.m. to go to VA Beach for 4 days, so the only ones left at home are my (tomorrow) 20 year old daughter who is handicapped, and my 13 year old son. So, I got up and got my daughter off to work, and woke my son up and took him to breakfast. I didn't want anyone in the house when Squinty got up.

Then my son and I went to work (family owned business, and my son mows, etc.). Squinty was there--really chipper. Finally when my son went out to work, he started with--I want to talk about last night. I feel really bad about what I said, and I want to apologize! Wow! Was I floored!

We spent the next 1-1/2 hours talking about his problem, which he now admits he has, and he said he is quitting drinking. Now he admits it may not be forever (if a party comes up, or whatever), but for now, he's quitting drinking--because he knows he has a problem! I am so excited I can hardly stand it. We talked about the way he has hurt me and the kids, the way he reacts to trials, everything. I even told him I've been coming here and talking, and he was really accepting of everything I had to say. I mean everything.

Just had to let you all know!

Hugs,
Lyn
Old 06-11-2003, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((((Lyn))))) I am SO happy for you! I hope and pray that this is the beginning of a new, bright, happy, and healthy future for you both - that is great news!

Old 06-11-2003, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love good news

I'm so glad you are feeling better about things. Doing a happy dance for you!
Peace,
Gabe
Old 06-11-2003, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It sounds like progress, Lyn, for both of you. I've got my pom poms and am cheeering for you.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! This is great, Lyn!

Gosh....this is a wonderful example of how letting go comes back in a positive way. And I know how hard it is to do that!

Way to go, Lyn!

Keep it up!

S
Old 06-11-2003, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the cheers (and the pom poms). I just had to share it. So far so good.

Now he has done a week or two at a time of sobriety before, so we'll see--but at this point--he has finally acknowledged he has a problem!

Lyn
Old 06-11-2003, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh Lynn I am so excited for you!!! How wonderful to hear the words come out of his mouth......I understand how you feel and I am happy for you.

Keep working on you and ENJOY!!!

Constant
Old 06-12-2003, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, Constant

Last night, Squinty asked me why when he goes to a party and drinks, why is he such a nice guy, but when he drinks at home he's an azz. I told him not to flatter himself--he's an azz at the party too! He said "I am?", looking real puzzled--I said "Yeah, but so's everyone else, so you can't tell!"

I think he's planning his next party, so he can drink. I know this is going to be a big uphill climb, but for now--I'm estatic!

Thanks all, for your support.

Lyn
Old 06-12-2003, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lyn -
Good for all of you!
It's such a big step to actually admit there is a problem.

I'm happy for you!!

NoDoubt
Old 06-12-2003, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lyn-
This is wonderful news! I am so happy for you. Here's to NEW BEGINNINGS!

Take care...and by the way I like to hear you smile!

HUGS!
2many2count
Old 06-12-2003, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

More cheers and hugs for you!!!:tongue3:

Isn't it wonderful to hear those words.....I'm sorry. If only they realized sometimes that means more than "I love you."

I hope the best for you two and your whole family. Squinty not drinking will be good for all of you. And huge round of applause for telling him he is an ass at paties too. Funny how they think they are charming drunks.

Good luck to you! I will be praying for you and a happy future!

HUGS
Sunshine
Old 06-12-2003, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Re: Thanks, Constant

Originally posted by lyn_blossom78
I told him not to flatter himself--he's an azz at the party too!
Lyn - LOL!!! Sorry, couldn't help it!
Old 06-12-2003, 09:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Hi Lyn,
It is so great when we are able to keep our "hands off" and NOT react... and in return, THEY start having to own up to things.

I mean you COULD have reacted to what he said... "I can't believe you said that! You are an as**ole! I hate you!" or whatever; and he would start fighting back. WW3 would break out, and guess whose fault it would be? YOURS. (I remember many times where it went just like that ).
But, you were able to "fluff it off", and HE had to live with the fact that he was wrong and hurtful.

Such progress Lynn!
And now that you know it works, it'll get easier...

I am so happy that for you and Squinty... to find some peace , some truth... and renewed hope.

My thoughts are with you today
Meg
Old 06-12-2003, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

LYN

feeling happy for you and the hope for a new beginning!

#1 we admitted we were powerless over alcohol that
our lives had become unmanagable.

love
liddy