Reality check, please

Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality check, please

I need a reality check. Sometimes (often!) I overreact when something triggers my ACOA tendencies.

I had two interviews last week. I heard back from both last Friday. Now I have been on a lot of interviews the past year or so, and every single one, I received a phone call from the hiring supervisor to tell me that I was not selected.

On Friday, I received a phone call from one interview, and the guy went on and on for 10 minutes, long distance, apologizing for not hiring me, encouraging me to apply in the future, and giving me names and phone numbers of others who he thinks would be interested in interviewing me. Small consolation he admitted, but very considerate of him and I thanked him for all that.

Then the mail arrived, and in it was a form letter from the other interview, rejecting me. This is the first time in all these interviews that someone sent me a form letter! and this for a job for which I already work in a different program of the same department, am personally known to 2 of the 3 people on the interview panel, (including the one responsible for the form letter,) and am somewhat overqualified for. I know they only interviewed 6 people so it's not like he'd have been overburdened to make those phone calls. I was terribly, painfully insulted! and I think it's going to be a cold day in heck before I apply for another job with this outfit.

Am I overreacting?? I know I'm sensitive about being stuck so long in a job I consider to be underemployment, unable to get anything else, and this one that sent the form letter would have been only a modest step up, so being turned down hurt, but not nearly as much as the manner in which I was turned down. I was shamed and belittled and told repeatedly I wasn't good enough or smart enough, as a child, so this is definitely a trigger, but I think it also speaks volumes about their managerial environment and tells me I don't want to work there.

I'm considering sending him an email and asking him what I did so wrong as to deserve being dropped like that, as surely he wouldn't have rejected me by form letter unless my qualifications or my references were seriously deficient (and I know they're not) and they don't want me to apply for future openings.

Somebody give me some perspective here please!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd simply take it as a sign that that particular company, under its current management, is not one I want to work for.

Good luck in the job search - the right one will turn up!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

One of my previous employer's policies was to send out that standard, "thank you, but no thank you" form letters whether it be to someone off the street, or, an internal candidate.

Yeah, it's a little unsettling when they know you and still send that letter. But, I'm used to it. Heck, I used to generate those letters. Although it was part of my job, I didn't enjoy it.

I think it would be worse if they didn't acknowledge you at all, JMO! I'd like to look at it this way, that didn't work out for you because something better is waiting for you.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the past couple of years, I have found most places where I interviewed didn't get back to me at all when I wasn't selected. A great deal of business etiquite has gone by the wayside. Sounds like you're doing much better with the response you got than I did.

As for it being a company you are already working at, well, to me it would just confirm its time to look elsewhere.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sorry to say that no response or a form letter is very common these days
Old 12-24-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Where I work there is a big emphasis on consistency. So, as a result, letters are sent to all candidates who are not selected, and phone calls go to those who get another interview. Some jobs draw dozens of applicants, others only a handful. But, in order to treat everyone consistently, the procedure remains the same.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

L
Old 12-24-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mushroom, my daughter was going through the same job process a few months ago. I bought her an outfit for her first interview, and she came home thinking she had the job. Nope, it didn't happen. Same thing after an interview for another job she thought would be perfect. For each one she thought "this is the one!" It was a letdown when she got "the letter" or nothing happened. Then she got an interview at a craft store. They were looking for an art major to work in their framing department. Wow, after I thought she'd never find a job being an art major! They hired her and she really really likes the job.

My friend in Miami also interviewed twice for the "opportunity of a lifetime" as a VP at a non-profit organization. It looked wonderful, then all of a sudden the CEO she was looking forward to working with moved on, and they hired someone else. This, after she was making plans to shut down her business! And after a second job offer came around.

Don't look back. Those jobs weren't meant to be for whatever reason. We look "through a glass darkly" but later on you'll see clearly. No, I wouldn't send an email. Brush off your sandals and move on. Good luck with your search!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its business. plain and simple.

They dont owe an explanation to you...maybe the person they hired had much more experience than you. Maybe the person was sleeping with the hiring managers brother. Wh o knows....dont take it as personal rejection. Its business.

Maybe its a blessing you didnt get the job, but hasnt been revealed to you why yet.

Maybe cus the better job is still out there.

Rejecting is Gods way of protecting.