One year later

Old 12-22-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

(((sketscher)))

I too thought life would be ok, even though my exabf was drinking daily. I never took the time to look at the big picture and realize what a tough road ahead it would be.

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Letting go of shame was an important part my recovery. As long as I felt shame about my weight, appearance, abilities, choices, behaviors, worthiness, etc., I continued to settle for partners who I knew deep down were not right for me. I settled because I convinced myself that nobody else would want me.
Thank you for posting that FD, you are exactly right, i am and probably many are that person you mentioned. I wouldn't even give a good looking, well educated, financially stable, got is stuff together kinda guy a good, hard look because of just that. I am wayyy too self conscience and never would think of anyone other than my crappy past looking my way! It's certainly been a strong and hard lesson.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by hbb View Post
I wouldn't even give a good looking, well educated, financially stable, got is stuff together kinda guy a good, hard look because of just that.
Ummmm, yeah, me too! At least that 'was' me before! I remember having brief conversations with 'those' type of men and not being able to relate, at all! To be honest, I felt they were looking down at me because I was not as well educated or successful. It brought my insecurity level soaring high.

I don't know that I would have anything in common with someone like that now either. (But, my ex was extremely good looking). However, to the best of my knowledge, their opinion of me won't matter much. Not as long as I believe that I am good enough, if not for anyone else, I at least I know that I'm good enough for 'me'. As relationships come and go, and they do, I'm all I've got!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

interesting topic, about talking with well educated, good looking men and feeling as though you can't relate. I went through a little spell like that. In my online dating experience I ran into a lot of those men. Men in their 30's with good jobs and education and for a time I felt I didn't deserve men like that but as i dated more of them I got more comfortable with myself. I began to realize I do have a lot going for me. Maybe it's wrong but it's an ego boost to have men who are very normal and successful pursue me even if I couldn't exactly relate. Plus meeting new people whom you may not relate to still does enrich your life. In taking continuing ed classes and dating people online whom have totally different backgrounds I find that I have a lot to offer in conversations and a lot to learn about the lives of others.